what sucks about being a miner

1. RedRise
    RedRise
    Have you ever had your heart set on doing something wild and courageous and then your parents (or somebody else who considers themselves a guardian) tell you, "Sorry sweetie, you're too young."
    Like, when I asked to sign up on this forum Dad's like "At your age, I don't think you know what you're getting into!" and Mum gave me her one-hundred-and-fifty-sixth lecture on the dangers of chat forums. They just don't get that I know what's safe and what's not and goddamnit I'm sick of having to ask permission for everything! If they reckon I manage trains and busses on my own I reckon I can sign up on a jolly chat forum!
    Has anyone ever actually managed to explain to their parents that they're are not as young and pathetically naive and innocent as they think? If so, how did you do it?
  2. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    *chuckles*
    I think you may mean minor, rather than miner. Miners are people who work in mines

Anyway, I'm afraid there is no sure way around it. The fact of the matter is that they've currently got a legal dictatorship over you until you reach an age of majority in your country. There are preditors out there and there always has been I'm sure and bieng vigilant is important, but not at any cost. There will always be times through people's lives where they are put in vunerable positions, whether that's something as simple as getting home at night from work when you're 25, or bieng at an increased risk of mugging when you're 75. What's changed between then and now? Well, not a lot really except that you will have learnt at least some method of protecting yourself, whether it's to carry a rape alarm, a mobile phone, or have your friends with you when you walk at night. The assumption seems to be that kids are not capable of using methods like this to protect themselves and that should be challenged in a mature way by demonstrating a knowledge of the dangers and also ways to minimise, or counter those dangers.

Mothers in particualar are nuisances with this as you have the maternal hormones racing around, which will mean they'll always be the 10lb pink piece of burgermeat that they burped on thier shoulder. Just be persistant, but dont get cocky, as I said, there are predators out there and I wouldnt be suprised, only given the population of the forum, that there's some around here too.
  3. Agnapostate
    Agnapostate
    Cave-ins are pretty problematic.

And I should say, much of the "predation" issue is really just bullshit inflated by John Walsh and Chris Hansen for their own profits.
  4. Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Adults are stupid unless they know every single way to tell if you have been on a chat forum I would just do it. Just as long as you do not give any personal information away I do not get what the big deal is.
  5. RedRise
    RedRise
    Cave-ins are pretty problematic.
    Lol! I'm just gonna pretend that was a typo.

Just as long as you do not give any personal information away I do not get what the big deal is.
    Agreed! I actually have a friend who is much worse off then me. Her mum only lets her on their one computer when it's not a school night!:-0 Worse yet is that the mum knows absolutely nothing about the internet except how to tell her daughter she's not allowed on. This of course makes my poor friend ten times as likely to do something stupid on line (i would) especially as her mother hasn't given her any warning. She's just like 'the internet's dangerous - don't go on it!' Of course you can imagine the sort of stupid things my friend does - putting tons of photos up on Windows Live and such. If someone had just explained to her the dangers and such... Well, if anything happens, I blame it on the mother. :-I
  6. Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Yeah like I said adults are idiots and over-react to any report on the news. Thats why I bought my own computer so my mom cannot do anything about it.
  7. RedRise
    RedRise
    I have my own computer, but that doesn't stop her poking her head round the corner to 'check in on me' and interrogating me about what I wrote and repeating the same goddamned lecture for the umpteenth time! Dad still mutters about the government having a record of my account here. :-o

and over-react to any report on the news
    Maybe we should ban them from watching TV? ;-)
  8. Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Just be quick with a mouse and too bad for you that your parents watch t.v. my mom knows little more than Obama is president.
  9. The Red Next Door
    people need to leave us alone, i am 19 and my folk still be acting like typical parents
  10. tracher999
    tracher999
    i m 25 years old en my parents dont want give me a car ore somthing els with a engine because i have add my parents say its to dangerous fore you but they dont let me try to do it i hate that so math i like it that i fount this group
    and this forum tnx guys
  11. TheDoctor1996
    TheDoctor1996
    I have always tried to explain to my dad, since I was 14, that I am more mature and more intelligent than a lot of my peers at school and more mature than my dad but my dad, being the fat immature idiot he is, just ignores me and still treats me like a child in various ways.

An example is that I keep telling my dad that I want to go to other places in the world, rather than keep going to places with him and he says to me "you need the money" I say to him "thanks captain obvious" or that "you can pay it for me".

I see this a lot with my friends as well, it simply says to me that most parents are stupid immature fucks who know NOTHING about their children or what their children are capable of.