What do you think is OK?

1. Dean
    Dean
    I think that occasional cursing can be fine, so long as it is not directed at members (i.e. "fuck you" or "you fuck").

I don't believe that discussion should be sterile and some hyperbole is occasionally justified. But I think some people go off on a limb (like TAT who thinks that transphobia can be gleened from sexual preference) and sometimes those accusations are machiavellian. But I think real, honest accusations are acceptable, and I've always tried to be reconciliatory when I actually call someone a sexist or some other term.

In any case, where you you draw the line? What makes you uncomfortable that my description seems to permit?
  2. Decolonize The Left
    Decolonize The Left
    I think that occasional cursing can be fine, so long as it is not directed at members (i.e. "fuck you" or "you fuck").

I don't believe that discussion should be sterile and some hyperbole is occasionally justified. But I think some people go off on a limb (like TAT who thinks that transphobia can be gleened from sexual preference) and sometimes those accusations are machiavellian. But I think real, honest accusations are acceptable, and I've always tried to be reconciliatory when I actually call someone a sexist or some other term.

In any case, where you you draw the line? What makes you uncomfortable that my description seems to permit?
    I believe that the most important issue when communicating via a sterile medium is to properly employ one's language. This is important because the entire medium of physical interaction is missing, and so much communication is lost. Therefore our words are our sole method of expressing ourselves, and in order to avoid confusion/misunderstanding/etc..., precision is necessary.

I also believe that framing sentences, claims, criticisms, and objections in a relative manner is helpful. For example: instead of saying, "that's bullshit. we all know stalin wasn't responsible for all those deaths!" one could say "I disagree. It seems to me as though we couldn't possibly hold one individual responsible for the actions of so many."
    In this example I have framed my claim in a relative manner ("It seems to me") while using precise terms and avoiding imperatives. I also employed proper punctuation and capitalization, thereby giving my statement emphasis and form as well as avoiding any possible 'emotive' impressions.

Just my thoughts.
  3. Communist
    Communist
    Cursing can be all right in some cases in the forums I suppose, but it's never necessary. I curse in real life, but around people who do it themselves and in situations where the proper context is understood. There's some members on RevLeft who apparently believe typing the f-bomb every fourth word is acceptable.
    I find it very difficult to take these people seriously.
  4. Charles Xavier
    I think it is quite demeaning to not only the person using the curses and vulgarities in a debate but also to the discussion board as a whole. We are tolerating half baked arguments and insults as answers to serious political questions.
  5. Yazman
    Yazman
    As long as we aren't flaming and are communicating in a way thats helpful, informative, or appropriately funny, then its fine. Its all about context and we need to make sure that we do not, as Charles Xavier has said, tolerate half baked arguments and insults as answers to serious political questions.

This means no snide replies and no ridiculous insults. It also means posts that don't contribute to a discussion in a meaningful way should not be posted.