On workers transnationalism

1. Ol' Dirty
    Ol' Dirty
    This board was created to support revleft members who want transnational workers' revolution. I will post more later, once I've gathered important things to say.
  2. Comrade Gwydion
    Comrade Gwydion
    The greatest enemy is not capitalism, but nationalism.
  3. ZeroNowhere
    No, it's pretty much capitalism.
  4. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    Let's start the discussion on trans-nationalism vs. inter-nationalism, shall we?
  5. samofshs
    samofshs
    .................................................. ...............
  6. A.R.Amistad
    A.R.Amistad
    Let's start the discussion on trans-nationalism vs. inter-nationalism, shall we?
    Why should there be a difference?
  7. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    "Between nations" vs. "beyond nations." Inter-nationalism presupposes the existence of nation-states. Trans-nationalism doesn't.
  8. A.R.Amistad
    A.R.Amistad
    "Between nations" vs. "beyond nations." Inter-nationalism presupposes the existence of nation-states. Trans-nationalism doesn't.
    Not necessarily, according to a traditional interpretation:
    Wiki
    Internationalism is a political movement which advocates a greater economic and political cooperation among nations for the theoretical benefit of all. Partisans of this movement, such as supporters of the World Federalist Movement, claim that nations should cooperate because their long-term mutual interests are of greater value than their individual short term needs.
    Internationalism is by nature opposed to ultranationalism, jingoism, realism and national chauvinism. Internationalism presupposes the recognition of other nations as equal, in spite of all their differences. The term internationalism is often wrongly used as a synonym for cosmopolitanism. 'Cosmopolitanist' is also sometimes used as a term of abuse for internationalists. Internationalism is not necessarily anti-nationalism,
    I certainly go about internationalism in a multi-cultural and multi-national sense. I don't believe that people should have to adopt a single world language and culture. I celebrate the diversity of culture and history. But I am still an internationalist.
  9. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    I am aware of that. I am basing my distinction on etymology.

Diverse languages and cultures can still fit into a single transnational framework.
  10. eclipse
    eclipse
    Internationalism at least it lets the perspective of a nation-state open, transnationalism is also antinationalist, it wants to abolish the borders. I think in a global communist society this would be necessary and practical.

I think a single lingua france wordwide would be an improvement, but how to chose one? Esperanto is dead and eurocentric, english for the latter even more but its already spread... difficult.
  11. GuevarasGhost726
    GuevarasGhost726
    Internationalism at least it lets the perspective of a nation-state open, transnationalism is also antinationalist, it wants to abolish the borders. I think in a global communist society this would be necessary and practical.

I think a single lingua france wordwide would be an improvement, but how to chose one? Esperanto is dead and eurocentric, english for the latter even more but its already spread... difficult.
    That would be the ideal situation, of course, but the entire world is incredibly complicated. Most nation states don't see much cohesion within themselves, much with countries from across the globe, and this is a deeply rooted problem. Nationalism is too deeply rooted in the people of the 21st century to try to abolish all borders, and like you said, how could we pick a singular language for the world? It will take time and will not happen voluntarily, so I believe national and regional independence should remain, but become interdependence and truly equal communities will arise amongst nations, but only possibly. The proletariat must all be allied for the same goals across the world though, and their unions will transcend borders.
  12. Flying Purple People Eater
    Flying Purple People Eater
    That would be the ideal situation, of course, but the entire world is incredibly complicated. Most nation states don't see much cohesion within themselves, much with countries from across the globe, and this is a deeply rooted problem. Nationalism is too deeply rooted in the people of the 21st century to try to abolish all borders, and like you said, how could we pick a singular language for the world? It will take time and will not happen voluntarily, so I believe national and regional independence should remain, but become interdependence and truly equal communities will arise amongst nations, but only possibly. The proletariat must all be allied for the same goals across the world though, and their unions will transcend borders.
    I disagree. Saying nationalism is 'rooted deeply into the minds of the 21st century' is a truthism; we already know this, just as we know that present prejudices of sexual orientation, identity, physical appearance and gender are, as well. This does not stop us from trying to overthrow the world culture. If the goal of the communist is to abolish the present, then all current institutions should be challenged and, if unneeded, destroyed. Nationalism and Cultural Obstructionism are nothing more than nets that keep the world's proletariat divided.

As for the 'Lingua Franca', there are already many an International Auxiliary language that has been produced, one of the easiest being Esperanto, of which I have become well-read in only a fortnight! Not only that, but I also differ with you on the subject of an international language damaging local culture. On the contrary, such languages are purposely constructed to not only be easy to learn, but also to put people of all backgrounds on equal grounds when conversing with each other. In our current world, everyone who is not already fluent in the dominant language must become a secondary speaker, keeping them at a disadvantage to the people raised with said language from birth. This can create major rifts in esteem, social groups, conversation itself and culture. With an international secondary language, everybody can speak on even terms while keeping their culture's original dialect, even when in modern days it may be obsolete or isolated (e.g. in a 'monolingual' world like ours, a person of native-Australian aboriginal background must give up their culture's native language in order to learn english. In a world with a 'lingua franca', the person would then be able to learn their ethnic language to their heart's content, while being taught Esperanto at their school/educational commune/ Critical Pedagogium/ Whatever).