An experience I had

1. Misanthrope
    Misanthrope
    So, I'm fourteen years old. Most of my friends have drug "troubles" and their parents are very worried. One of my friends mom's calls me and starts screaming at me asking where her son was, I didn't know but she continued to harass me and threatened to call the police, for what I don't know. She kept saying "I'm an adult, you can't talk to me like that" "You have to obey me because I'm an adult" She also asked to talk to my ten year old brother when I said no she started to freak out and again said that I couldn't "override an adult's decision". Has anyone else had to put up with ageist bullshit like this?
  2. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    The whole assumed authority is very common. Most adults already live under authority figures like bosses at work on a daily basis. A common reaction is tol lash out in the same way at anyone they think that they can get away with it. It's like a pack mentality.

You've probably seen the same thing at school. Notice how the people at the bottom of the "popular group" tend to be the bullies?

Anyway, yes, I've put up with it when I was a kid and I put up with exactly the same attitude from my employer. Lack of equality effects everyone.
  3. marxistcritic
    I to have to put up with that sort of thing.
  4. Q
    Q
    She said this to you over the phone? Then the real question is: why didn't you hung up?
  5. Brother No. 1
    Brother No. 1
    you could have hung up on her. Then there would be no problem.
  6. Misanthrope
    Misanthrope
    She continued to call back and threatened to tell my parents I'm a drug addict. Needless to say, the accusation is not unwarranted.
  7. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    Well, that's crossed the line into harrasment now, which is usualy a crime in most places. Most bullies like that fear any sort of reprisal, so if you've got a trump card like that to play against them, feel free to inform them that you'll use it if need be.
  8. WorkInProgress
    I get this same crap from my parents as well mostly from my dad. Supposedly any decision they make needs to be obeyed. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, but I am highly frustrated by this as well.
  9. marxistcritic
    I get this same crap from my parents as well mostly from my dad. Supposedly any decision they make needs to be obeyed. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, but I am highly frustrated by this as well.
    Same goes for me.
  10. LeninKobaMao
    LeninKobaMao
    I would have screamed:

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *hang up*
  11. Q
    Q
    Sorry, maybe I misunderstood, but is this group really for whining about your daily experiences or to do something about it? I'm asking because we have several of these threads already that are leading to nowhere.

Discuss.
  12. ZeroNowhere
    Well, it should be for both.
  13. beaslythebeast
    beaslythebeast
    I hate it when thing like that happen, I wish people listened to all ages,
  14. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    I always find it most appropriate that the most hysterical of parents tend to be conservative Christians, who behave just like the wild mammals that they claim we didnt evolve from. lol
  15. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    Sorry, maybe I misunderstood, but is this group really for whining about your daily experiences or to do something about it? I'm asking because we have several of these threads already that are leading to nowhere.

Discuss.
    That's true. I suppose like all things that change will only ever happen when divisions are swept away and the oppressed stand up together as one. Maybe some kind of youth-union type thing?
  16. Q
    Q
    That's true. I suppose like all things that change will only ever happen when divisions are swept away and the oppressed stand up together as one. Maybe some kind of youth-union type thing?
    Ayouth union would definantly be a huge step forward.
  17. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    I believe that non-private schools recieve thier funding based upon how many exam passes they recieve. A "strike" on studying, might actualy persuede a headmaster to investigate any concerns that pupils may have about thier welfare at school. Maybe the right to a trial by your peers for displinary actions, or for prefects to be elected by the pupils, rather than than appointed by teachers are possible improvements for a school enviroment. Keep it sensable though, otherwise you'll quickly find that the headmaster's "compromises" will be that he'll put pizza on the canteen menu and declare that he's done his part to appease the pupils and any further demands are unreasonable. Just like welfare reforms can be used to bribe the working class in adulthood, I'm sure pizza in the canteen could be used to bribe pupils, so be vigilant.

In the home though, I'm not sure what can really be done as the fact of the matter is, a parent that's 2 feet taller than you, with absolutle power granted by the law is pretty hard to get around.
  18. The Red Next Door
    From my uncle, i am 19 by the way.
  19. The Ben G
    The Ben G
    From the deans and teachers at my school. I also get crap like this from Elderly people in my neighborhood.
  20. RedRise
    RedRise
    Surprisingly I have little of this problem with actual adults but rather with under-eighteens who are older than me.
    Example: I'm at school and I've got to get to my locker to get maths books. There's two older kids leaning on the lockers chatting about who fucked whom at the party last night. I say 'excuse me i need to get to my locker' They look at me like I'm retarded and keep on chatting. This goes on for some time with me asking politely and them telling me to shove off until i quite literally do just that and shove them out of the way.
    One of us is a 'mature young lady'. It's not them.
  21. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    I'd gather together your friends and find those two again, approach them as a group and tell them that if they push around one of you, they push around all of you. Yes, it's intimidation. It's not big, it's not clever, but it's the only way some people will listen.

If you're concerned that there's not enough of you to attempt such a thing, ever thought about setting up an anti-bully group in your school? I'm sure everyone knows at least one person who gets picked on. Get together and do the same thing as above. Certainly don't fall into the same trap as the bullies though and start picking on people who don't deserve it, especially within your own ranks. Only ever use the group to defend each other.

Keeping the leadership horizontal too means that teachers, or bullies are not able to pick out the ringleaders and cripple the group. Make sure everyone has an equal say and equal rights in the group, even if you personaly disagree with them on some points.

Alone you are weak. Together you are strong.

Recruiting is best done quietly until you've got a lot of numbers behind you. Spot the people who will benefit most from the group and have a quiet word with them. Resist the temptation to reveal yourselves until you're sure that the group's strong enough to defend itself.

On a final note, arming yourselves is NOT a good idea. Anything you need to do can either be achieved peacefully, through numbers, or even plain monkey wrenching. Arming yourselves will only lead to a bigger group coming to take you away and those guys wear body armour, carry chemical weapons, firearms and lead clubs and are known as the Police. You can't defend against the police, so don't try, unless there's a revolution of course :P.
  22. BeerShaman
    BeerShaman
    Don't give a f*** about that nagging Hitler. If you take drugs stop it. Can she prove that you do or persuade your parents that you do? I think you should go to your parents, talk to them and tell them the truth about that. Thus they'll trust you and you'll be ok again. If she can have more word-power than you, then tell your parents that you are their child and that you're clean and should be trusted. Then, tell that shitty nag to stop acting violently because what she does is blackmailing and it's violent. Remind her that you are a child and she is an authoritarian b****. Tell her that you are innocent and that you know she's desperate but that this desperation has made her blind and led her to ask non-logical things from a irrelevant guy! If you like any of my advice follow it. I'd like to help you immediately but I live in another part of the planet! Go for it, trust yourself if you're clean and innocent and do the right thing, it's not just for you, you fight authoritarianism!
  23. BeerShaman
    BeerShaman
    Ha! She must be a Ku Klux Klan member! ahahahahhahahahha
  24. samofshs
    samofshs
    so there's this group of kids i'm in who want to start a scrabble club next year and i'm thinking we set up this scrabble club a bit like "fight club" and a bit like an anti-bullying group. we'll look out for each other and i'll make up some nice-sounding code of ethics that can be applied to scrabble but also life in general. how does it sound?