Feminism and Homophobia

1. Rosa Provokateur
    Rosa Provokateur
    I heard somebody say if there was no sexism there'd be no homophobia. What's the connection between the two?
  2. Rjevan
    Rjevan
    Well, I'm not sure, but sexism not only stands for discrimination because of your gender, but also for stereotypes about male and female behaviour. We are forced into certain "typical male/female roles" and if you behave out of you're role, e.g. you like playing with Barbie dolls as a boy or want to play soccer as a girl, the society looks strange at you and may even discriminate you.

And I think this is the connection between sexism and homophobia: if you fall out of your role by loving a person of the same gender as you are, the society discriminates you. If these stereotypes about "normal" behavior for your gender wouldn't exist, nobody would care if have a boyfriend as a boy, or a girlfriend as a girl, because nobody would claim that this is "abnormal" (apart from some religious lunatics maybe, but most religions have sexist tendencies anyway) .
  3. Rosa Provokateur
    Rosa Provokateur
    Oh, mkay. Another question: I consider myself female but dont want the "surgery". Does that qualify me to be a feminist?
  4. Rjevan
    Rjevan
    Yes, of course! It's totally regardless of which gender you are. Feminists are not only women: Feminism is
    A social theory or political movement supporting the equality of both sexes in all aspects of public and private life.
    and not, like the media often presents it, a union of mad and frustrated women who hate men and want to rule over them.
    Many feminists in real life and here in this group are male and hetero (including myself), so you don't even have to consider yourself female to be a feminist.
  5. Rosa Provokateur
    Rosa Provokateur
    you don't even have to consider yourself female to be a feminist.
    I just consider myself female and now feminist. Thanks for the pep-talk, I can tell I'm gonna like this group.
  6. Rjevan
    Rjevan
    You're welcome.
  7. RedAldo
    RedAldo
    I agree completely with Feminism, but I am male can I class myself a Feminist?
  8. Rjevan
    Rjevan
    Yes, of course! I'm male, too and I'm a feminist, just like many people here and out there.
    Feminism is not about women raging against men, nor is it only for women, it's people like you and me who want equality of and same rights for both genders in all aspects of life. There are and have been many male feminists.
  9. Janine Melnitz
    Janine Melnitz
    Yeah, there are women who argue that men can't be feminists, and it sort of makes sense (the movement is interminably plagued by men -- this was especially true in the 60s-70s -- who want ever so much to "help" and are incapable of dropping their own sexist bullshit), but honestly, we're talking about ideas here, and anyone's capable of having correct ones. Bill Gates is perfectly capable of becoming a Marxist (I just wouldn't vote to give him any authority in my party).

Rjevan pretty much said it all about homophobia and patriarchy -- the former's a function of the latter. A gay man, particularly, is seen as having sunk to the level of women, and, as in white supremacy, "traitors" to the dominant group are much more vile than those whose inferiority comes "naturally" (as they traumatically upset the idea that male supremacy itself is "natural").
  10. Philosophical Materialist
    Philosophical Materialist
    ...about homophobia and patriarchy -- the former's a function of the latter. A gay man, particularly, is seen as having sunk to the level of women, and, as in white supremacy, "traitors" to the dominant group are much more vile than those whose inferiority comes "naturally" (as they traumatically upset the idea that male supremacy itself is "natural").
    This.

Dislike of, and society's identifying of femininity/effeminacy as inferior to masculinity does illustrate the close connexions of misogyny and homophobia.

One just has to look at sexuality in Western male prisons. Rape against inmates is commonplace, and those who initiate rapes are not considered gay in prison culture, but those who are raped are ironically considered gay even though they are not consenting to same-sex relations. The victims are seen as "*****es" having been reduced to the inferior status of female.
  11. Salabra
    Salabra
    Many feminists, including me, would argue that feminism aims to benefit men as much as women, because it attempts to dismantle the rigid gender roles which are oppressive to men (the male “code of behaviour,” relating to such things as jobs, money, health, even interests, that can grind them into the ground, both in their youth and in their adulthood).

And Janine Melnitz and Philosophical Materialist have pretty much said all there is to say about the link between sexism and homophobia.

A belated welcome to the group!
  12. Luisrah
    Luisrah
    Yes, feminism would also benefit men be more equal with women.

A lot of stereotypes on each sex would disappear.

For example. Atleast where I live, it's cute having a girl kissing another girl's cheek, hugging each other, or them holding hands and say that they love each other (as friends).

But if a boy kissed another boys cheek, hugged him, holded his hand, or said he loves him as a friend, everyone would call him gay.

We can even get to the arguement that girls wear skirts and pants, but men don't wear skirts.

Of course this is nothing compared to discrimination of women by men.

And to add to what everyone's saying, I'm a male hetero, and I'm a feminist.
  13. Il Medico
    Il Medico

A lot of stereotypes on each sex would disappear.

For example. Atleast where I live, it's cute having a girl kissing another girl's cheek, hugging each other, or them holding hands and say that they love each other (as friends).

But if a boy kissed another boys cheek, hugged him, holded his hand, or said he loves him as a friend, everyone would call him gay.
    Yeah, very few straight men can break this type of stuff (It's even hard for non straight men like me to say I love you to straight men [as a friend] because it might make them feel uncomfortable). I have a straight friend who say I love you to his male and female friends, I love him to death for it.

* and everything Salabra and others have said. Feminism befits both sexes.
  14. SammXVX
    SammXVX
    Feminism is combating sexism.