Causes of Ageism?

1. Dust Bunnies
    What would be the cause of ageism?

To be honest it may be the impression some young people give to older people. They may see some other young people doing entirely stupid things and think we all are like that.
  2. Q
    Q
    Arrogance?
  3. Brother No. 1
    Brother No. 1
    Ignorance?
  4. Weezer
    Weezer
    Ageism is caused by many things.

As said by Polish Soviet and Q said earlier, one of the causes of ageism is purely arrogance and ignorance, to put it bluntly. I will add more to this later, I'm a bit tired.
  5. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    I'm 24, but you can consider me a sympathiser. Young people are demonised far too much.

I think there's been two things that are to blame:
    - Parenting. The dictatorship of the parent is going to be a significant cause. Parents are entrusted with teaching thier children how to become useful parts of society more than even teachers. This creates the impression that "The parent always knows best". Soon that goes across to other peoples' kids too. And eventualy it becomes the impression that "adults know everything that's best and the kids know nothing, except that what adults agree with".
    - I think the other cause was the illogical actions of those who are new to hormones. Over time this has been totaly blown out of proportion to the point where older members of society have demonised any action by those who are young and under the influence of these chemicals the same way that they view the actions of somebody under the influence of smack, or a mental disorder. They quite literaly see youth as a desiese.

This can only be combatted by showing the older parts of the population that not only are you capable of doing good off your own back, but also that it's stuff that benefits the whole of society, rather than becoming youth seperatists.
  6. Dust Bunnies
    I think there's been two things that are to blame:
    - Parenting. The dictatorship of the parent is going to be a significant cause. Parents are entrusted with teaching thier children how to become useful parts of society more than even teachers. This creates the impression that "The parent always knows best". Soon that goes across to other peoples' kids too. And eventualy it becomes the impression that "adults know everything that's best and the kids know nothing, except that what adults agree with".
    I think that may come with the 1950's mentality of "Father Knows Best".

For the hormones one, it depends on the person, some have more will.
  7. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    I don't think it's too complicated.

I think ageism can be explained almost completely by two things; one, a genuine and legitimate difference in ability, and two, "prison guard" type psychology.

At a certain amount of young, people are genuinely incapable of making good decisions for themselves. This fact lends legitimacy to the practice more able people have of making decisions for them. Ageism is what happens when this freedom to exercise power meets normal psychology, as per the work of Zimbardo, Milgram, etc.
  8. marxistcritic
    I think ageism is caused by a Clobold complex.
  9. Glenn Beck
    The family, a long-existing patriarchal institution now conditioned by the needs and parameters of private property.
  10. Chambered Word
    Chambered Word
    Just the usual 'HURR DURR CHILD KNOWS NOTHING'.
  11. Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Ageism is a big problem. My parents always make it as back talk if I reply to them and tell me that I know nothing and have no discipline. I'm also the one usually right and still yelled at for it.
  12. The Red Next Door
    stupidity and the idealogy of the youth is stupid, so some people over 30 believe
  13. RedRise
    RedRise
    Anybody who thinks that because someone is young they cannot make sensible decisions or have their own ideas and opinions is a perfect example of why the younger generation is smarter.
  14. Црвена
    Because old people want to cling to power and never want any progress to happen.
  15. RedRev
    RedRev
    Because in the capitalist school system, students fail to recieve an education that is worth a damn so we don't rise up against them. This also results in youth making bad decisions, and causes a bad image