ok guys show me what ya folks got

1. black magick hustla
    black magick hustla
    basically, i asked KC to tell me what has he gotten out of dialectics that makes the latter worth as some sort of way of thinking. this is an honest question and i would like people to tell me what kindof insights have they gotten out of this that do not make sense without "dialectics".

i agree rosas method is a little to inciendary and honestly i dont think the issue of dialectics is really that important. i do agree with the "ordinary language" philosophy expressed by rosa and wittgenstein though, and i do think that if something cannot be expressed clearly then it is probably nonsense. furthermore, if something makes really lax use of language, to the point that it could be used for anything just because of its vagueness then its probably nonsense too.

now, what type of insights have you guys gotten from DM?
  2. black magick hustla
    black magick hustla
    for example, in my opinion saying that "opposite" charges in physics prove dialectics its a really dishonest use of language. what "opposite charges" mean in the physicist language game has very little to do with the "opposites" use by marxists concerning opposite classes, for example
  3. PRC-UTE
    PRC-UTE
    Comrade, you can use ordinary language to express the same ideas, as Rosa does here:

The class war drives social change -- mediated by the inter-play between the forces and relations of production.
    as Hiero said:

She would not explain what this meant. Her defendents gave it a go, and they can only assume. Some say that words like inter-play have been used by Marx, it is possible, in the German Ideaology he uses "intercourse" instead of relations of production.
    But basically Rosa's counter theory comes down to replacing words. If we replace mediate with contradiction we are back to Marxist dialectics.
    it doesn't matter if we use the same jargon as Marx or invent our own. the point is that dialectics demonstrate why capitalism will fall, due to its own contradictions. that's what I find useful about it.

I think we can verify that the idea of a contradiction in capitalism leads to its decline by examining the move of industry from most first world nations to less developed ones, because the cost of paying for a first world proletariat is too much in this period. anyway, that's an example of a contradiction- the tendency for the rate of profit to fall.

all that rubbish about applying dialectics to nature and physics, I don't see the value in it.
  4. Cumannach
    Cumannach
    I just think dialectical thought is already a part of natural science and physics. even during marx's lifetime he saw darwin's new theory as a dialectical approach/solution but he must have been well aware that darwin didn't present it as a result of DiaMat. I think marx saw the univerality of the meta-structure of an analysis like darwinism, whereas Darwin was not aware or interested in that, like scientists in general and didn't have any reason to point it out or emphasize it.
  5. black magick hustla
    black magick hustla
    it doesn't matter if we use the same jargon as Marx or invent our own. the point is that dialectics demonstrate why capitalism will fall, due to its own contradictions. that's what I find useful about it.

I think we can verify that the idea of a contradiction in capitalism leads to its decline by examining the move of industry from most first world nations to less developed ones, because the cost of paying for a first world proletariat is too much in this period. anyway, that's an example of a contradiction- the tendency for the rate of profit to fall.
    i think the jargon is a necessary component of philosophy- because in my opinion, philosophy is after all the abstraction of common language words, and beyond that there is not much to it. So yes, if we do not use the same jargon or not there is a very important difference.

i think the conclusion you came to does not need any "dialectical" method of thinking. its just straight up economics. its like saying keynes was a dialectician because he knew that capitalism was "conflicted" or had contradictions, as you people like to say.

one of the reasons ive heard in this forum about not abandoning DM was because of some sort of need of theory of agency rather than technological determinism. i found this issue interesting, although i find both approaches wrong. could someone elaborate on this?
  6. black magick hustla
    black magick hustla
    I just think dialectical thought is already a part of natural science and physics. even during marx's lifetime he saw darwin's new theory as a dialectical approach/solution but he must have been well aware that darwin didn't present it as a result of DiaMat. I think marx saw the univerality of the meta-structure of an analysis like darwinism, whereas Darwin was not aware or interested in that, like scientists in general and didn't have any reason to point it out or emphasize it.
    this is wrong. trust me. i study physics and there is no such thing as "dialectical" thought in the field. in fact, if i wrote a thesis about that i would probably be flunked out.

7. Cumannach
    Cumannach
    what I'm saying is the various established theories came about as a result of an approach to problems, which you can call a dialectical approach. I mean Marx wasn't saying that without an explicit recognition and conception of dialectical thinking and methods, nothing is or was ever discovered and understood. He was just recognising that analysis of any aspect of the world succeeds when when the phenomena are viewed or analysed dialectically. So whether or not a physicist reads about the metaphysics of dialectics before he sits down to solve a problem or whether he simply sits down and works on it, in the end he will solve his problem when he thinks about it dialectically. Am I making sense? maybe not
  8. Hit The North
    Hit The North
    one of the reasons ive heard in this forum about not abandoning DM was because of some sort of need of theory of agency rather than technological determinism. i found this issue interesting, although i find both approaches wrong. could someone elaborate on this?
    If we look at the relationship between the means of production and the relations of production as a one-way causal relationship which prioritises the former you end up with technological determinism. If you prioritise the other way, you end up with voluntarism.

A dialectical approach which seeks to study the inter-relations between both in their historically specific unfolding, avoids the pitfalls of the above and develops a more complex open-ended explanation.
  9. Hiero
    Hiero
    Have you got any specific questions?
  10. Random Precision
    It's about time I pitched in I suppose.

I think a dialectical understanding gives us a better stance on theoretical questions. One that comes up all the time is whether the Bolsheviks were "authoritarian" when they took steps to centralize the Soviet republic and empower their own party. Many anarchists see this as a betrayal of the working class, and will go on and on about the "authoritarianism" of Leninists and Marxists in general.

But a dialectical understanding of the Russian revolution teaches us to look at the other events in the same period, to take the event as a totality. Through this we can understand why the Bolsheviks decided it was necessary to centralize state power, and not descend into abstract moralism. The most valuable thing about dialectics for me is that it stresses the context of any event, action, person, etc. as primary in understanding it.
  11. PCommie
    I really don't know much about Dialectial Materialism yet, but what I do know makes sense. But I must respond to one point:

what "opposite charges" mean in the physicist language game has very little to do with the "opposites" use by marxists concerning opposite classes, for example
    Umm, yes, it really does. Opposite charges fulfull every law of DiaMat.

Law of opposites - The charges are opposite. In this case, it causes the two particles to be drawn together.

Law of negation - It can be said that a new particle is formed, an ion, because it is neither one nor the other, but a combination. Hydrogen and oxygen in their pure forms are just gas, but combined in the right mixture, they produce water, a totally different substance. Therefor, it can be said that the old particles negate themselves, and from their "ashes" arises a new thing.

Law of Transformation - I have heard this Law explained two different ways: The difference between two states after a gradual change, and a buildup of tension over time that results in a quick change, like a "snap." Atomic opposites fulfill both. There is a major difference after combining that is caused by them gradually becoming attracted, the closer they get to each other, the quicker they approach, and then there is a completely new substance formed. It fulfills the other in that, they approach each other, them *BAM*, a new ion is formed.

So, it most certainly is a good analogy to support DM.

-PC