Benefits of learning a martial art?

1. Module
    Module
    What have you gotten out of it?
    Why did you start, was it what you expected?
    And, do/did you do any other sports?
  2. Sasha
    Sasha
    grew up in a white midle class liberal safe suroundings and never had any reason to fight.
    i was brought up learning that too avoid confrontation at any cost is good thing.

if martial arts learn you anything its that if you try to walk away you get hurt more.
  3. Pirate turtle the 11th
    Pirate turtle the 11th
    1. Good exercise.
    2. Comes in handy if i get into a fight
    3. Allows me to brag
    4. Brilliant fun
    5. Self confidence boost
    6. Cheap
    7. Something to do on a Tuesday evening
    8. Good atmosphere

I stared because everyone else seemed to be doing boxing and I wanted to be able to do boxing as well as kicking , punching and grappling also because my mate wanted me to go. Also it was much easier to get the hang of it then I thought.

Oh and I also used to do rugby and need to get back into doing that (obviously not a combat sport , but you asked).
  4. Pirate turtle the 11th
    Pirate turtle the 11th
    *stupid computer wont let me edit.

Martial arts also toughen you up physically in that things dont seem to hurt so much and mentally as you realize your not made out of glass.
  5. Dr Mindbender
    What have you gotten out of it?
    It's improved my self confidence, and i carry myself in public better (i'm less afraid of running into some little punk in the street who might try something).

Also,as a consequence it's improved my knowledge of Japanese language, history and culture.

Why did you start, was it what you expected?
    Mainly for the above reasons.
    And, do/did you do any other sports?
    Not really, i find competitive sports rather vulgar.