Are you Morrissey
  3. Bad Grrrl Agro
    Bad Grrrl Agro
    I like listening to his songs.

I'm more of a Chumbawamba fan though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6eMIwqlT1M
  4. AntinoiteBolshevik
    AntinoiteBolshevik
    My name is Stephen and I am queer and damn proud of it!
  5. Angry Young Man
    Angry Young Man
    I'm homo, proud, and realise the irremovable homophobia in the description queer. And in your run-off of terms for GLBTs, I didn't see an entrance for shirtlifter.
  6. Bad Grrrl Agro
    Bad Grrrl Agro
    You really like to nit pick with words. So here you go:

Over the last decade, the word queer has become a label which thousands of youth all over the world identify with. Though it affects many if not all people belonging to an LGBT community, it is especially a youth phenomenon. "Queer" particularly resonates with young folks who are frustrated with the increasingly assimilationist politics, attitudes, and identities of many gay and lesbian organizations, as well as with those who generally see the proper project to be subverting boundaries and norms rather than reifying them.
    -Principles of Engagement: The Anarchist Influence on Queer Youth Culture

Note: I am not an Anarchist. I do however have common ground with Anarchists on this.
  7. Janine Melnitz
    Janine Melnitz
    I'm homo, proud, and realise the irremovable homophobia in the description queer.
    The homophobia in "queer" is "irremovable" but that in "homo" isn't?
  8. Janine Melnitz
    Janine Melnitz
    Also ***NO SHIRTLIFTERS***
  9. Angry Young Man
    Angry Young Man
    How is 'homo' inherently homophobic when it's the Latin for 'same'. It makes a suitable abbr. of homosexual.
  10. Janine Melnitz
    Janine Melnitz
    I guess I'm a little skeptical about the idea that etymology can tell us anything about a word's "inherent" meaning
  11. Angry Young Man
    Angry Young Man
    In the case of queer, it's really not that thickly vested.
  12. Janine Melnitz
    Janine Melnitz
    LGBTI would be preferable if it included everything I listed

The literal meaning of "queer" actually is important here, including as it does everything that deviates from the heteronormative
  13. Janine Melnitz
    Janine Melnitz
    Look, I apologize for that last sentence but there was no other way to say it
  14. Janine Melnitz
    Janine Melnitz
    Q: Would "LGBTQ" be a reasonable compromise?
    A: Yeah I didn't think of that
  15. Il Medico
    Il Medico
    Ello, I am The Doctor. And I am Bi.
  16. AmericanRed
    AmericanRed
    I'm a bisexual vegetarian Marxist living in New York City. And I'm sure my rather conservative parents wonder how I ended up this way.
  17. counterblast
    In the case of queer, it's really not that thickly vested.

"Homo" translates into "sameness".
    "Queer" translates into "other".

How is fitting into a hegemony empowering?
  18. AK
    "Queer" translates into "other".
    Queer sometimes translates to weird, or out of the ordinary.
  19. counterblast
    Queer sometimes translates to weird, or out of the ordinary.
    Or extraordinary.
  20. Patchd
    Patchd
    And 'queer' could mean something other than what has been said; Queer Theory
  21. tanklv
    tanklv
    "Queer" boils down to reclaiming a derrogatory term and delegitimizing the slur and turning a slur into a term of empowerment.

"Sameness" or "other" doesn't really enter into it from a gay perspective. It's all about removing the power of the word to hurt and reclaiming proud membership in society.

And at the same time it's about turning back the exclusivity that "lesbian" holds - we are all "brothers and sisters"...
  22. Huey P. Newton1233
    Huey P. Newton1233
    hi petey :3