Teaching Myself Self Defence

1. anti-authoritarian
    anti-authoritarian
    Over the past few months I seem to be making a habit of narrowly escaping fights. I'm your average fairly scrawny guy who hasn't seen much in the way of street fighting unless you count the usual high-school scraps. I think at some point in the future it's fairly inevitable that I'll end up in a situation where I'll be forced to defend myself. Going to a martial arts school isn't really an option (I'm not aware of any near where I live and the fact I have no money doesn't really help a lot), it looks like I'll most likely have to teach myself. Would anyone happen to have any advice/pointers as to how to get started?
  2. Dr Mindbender
    i dont think it's really practical to be honest.

Theres so many technicalities and dynamics in learning a fighting system you really need the presence of an instructor to lead you along the way.
    (Im fairly experienced and i still have a hard time learning the stuff even with instruction).
    Most instructors wont charge too much (maybe £5 a lesson). Just go to a class as much as your budget and spare time can afford, even if it's only once a month. Also remember a genuine instructor won't demand large sums of money up front. If they do, keep looking for a class.

You wont gain the fluency and confidence you need to defend yourself just by watching youtube.
  3. DirectAction
    DirectAction
    You could try and pool the knowledge of the activist base whever you are. Some of the feminist and anti-fascist groups always have MA practioners. Otherwise side from inidividual drills I cant see you gaining much from solo practice.
  4. Dr Mindbender
    Id be careful about training with amateur or under-experienced teachers, especially if you're doing armed stuff. Without proper supervision you could injure yourself or someone else quite easilly. We in the bujinkan pay an annual insurance fee for a reason. Train safe!