I'm so bored with the USA

1. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    ...and the UK talking about who started punk.
    Who gives a toss?

Let's have your views.
    Oh, also what do ya think of the new group avatar?
  2. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    The UK gave the stylistic origins while the US gave the musical origins, though punk as an actual movement first began in the UK. The UK started Oi!, while America started hardcore. The UK started two tone, while the US did third-wave. Both places have made equal contributions, and although punk first emerged as a youth movement in Britain, it would not have existed had it not been for American music.
  3. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    I'd say it started in the US with bands like The Dictators and The Ramones.
  4. jaffe
    jaffe
    doesn't mather to me both countrys had some great bands/periods.
  5. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Pirate Utopian: Yeah, I agree with you there that it musically grew out of America, but it first became an actual youth movement in England.
  6. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    The UK added alot of aspects to punk especially with the aesthestics and all but I do think their was some sort of youth culture in New York already.
    Like Punk zines and venues, leather jackets, ripped shirts and bad adittudes we're already in New York before London.
  7. Riot11
    Riot11
    its not realy worth the time to argue about it. what it realy all funnels down to is opinion, New York or London? why does it matter? Its all punk it all has its ups and downs. its not a race or a contest its our culture. punk is punk no matter where its from.
  8. blake 3:17
    blake 3:17
    John Lee Hooker and Bo Diddley.
  9. Chambered Word
    Chambered Word
  10. NGNM85
    NGNM85
    The US technically started punk, the most critical American band, I feel was the Ramones. However, the early American punk scene lacked cohesion, all that could really be agreed upon was what punk wasn't. The Sex Pistols were like the Robert Johnson's of punk rock, they didn't invent it, but they codified it. After "Anarchy in the UK" there was no longer any question as to what punk was or what it was about. In some ways I can understand why some people say it started with the Sex Pistols, because the British and American punk explosion were in many ways almost two seperate epochs.