Incentive for Learning Esperanto

1. Potemkin
    Hi again, everyone. Esperanto is a cool language with revolutionary potential. That should be exciting enough for any revolutionary to want to learn it.

However, there is another cool reason to stick with learning Esperanto: Pasporta Servo, or Passport Service. This is a service provided by an Esperanto group where people can travel and stay with other Esperanto speakers for free. You get to be with someone that speaks Esperanto and visit other countries. According to Wikipedia, in 2007 they had 1320 hosts in 92 countries.

So my idea was, if we all learn Esperanto together, and get to "know" each other to the point we don't want to kill one another, perhaps we could travel and meet up somewhere -- putting our learning into practice?

I know for me I have a really tight budget. Ideally, I would like this to be as accessible for everyone as possible. So my thought is, those that can afford to travel could go together and do that, and maybe visit the city or cities of those in the group that can't afford to go.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that out there. It seems like it would be a cool incentive for us to keep up the Esperanto studies. Feel free to chip in with your input!

By the way, you can check out the Pasporto Servo site: http://www.tejo.org/eo/ps
  2. Black Sheep
    Hmmm Esperanto sounds hella easy and interesting
  3. magicSpoons
    magicSpoons
    I have a pasporta servo from 2003, I borrowed it off my old teacher who has now retired and haven't been able to give him it back. It should be useful though as I plan to travel around Europe next year. I also have a Jarlibro from 2003, also very useful.