Languages

1. Il Medico
    Il Medico
    I am currently Studying French. I have taken a class on Spanish, though my speaking abilities are rather pathetic. I hope one day to be fluent in French, Italian, and Spanish as well as my native English, though I have a while to go.
  2. spaßmaschine
    spaßmaschine
    I'm a native speaker of English. I picked up some Deutsch while working in Germany a couple of years ago, and am now trying to make my competence of it more systematic and coherent/stop it fading away. I studied Bahasa Indonesia right through school but haven't practiced it for many years; it would be nice to recover it.
  3. RedHK
    RedHK
    I want to learn: Vietnamese, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, and Korean. All for reasons I don't feel like posting right now.
  4. Kowalski
    I'm practicing in English here at the forum =)
    Also I can help anybody with Russian.
  5. Dimitri Molotov
    Dimitri Molotov
    i am trying to learn russian i was taking spanish in high school, but it pissed me off, and our french teacher was from Ukraine and spoke fluent ukrainian, russian, english, french, italian, and spanish, so she agreed to teach me and my friend katy russian. XD she left now thou so i have to learn russian on my own:/ but i like it more than spanish lol
  6. LeninBalls
    LeninBalls
    I can speak good French and Spanish, and am currently learning French, Spanish, German and Russian. It gets too much sometime. I'll start reading latin words in the cyrillic alphabet or pronouncing Spanish words in French style, etc.

THE MORE THE MERRIER
  7. CHEGUAVARA
    CHEGUAVARA
    I'm studying French and I'm also studying Hungarian as sort of a hobby. I would also like to learn Bulgarian or Serbian.
  8. Heathen Communist
    Heathen Communist
    I am currently studying Latin, German, Russian, Dutch, Chinese, Welsh, Arabic, and Anglo-Saxon. I am interested in learning Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Old Norse, Danish, Finnish, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Mongolian, Turkish, Hungarian, French, Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic, Gaulish, Samoan, Hawaian, Frisian, North Saami, and more.

I am extremely interested in the field of linguistics and I have put extensive study into it.
  9. Welshy
    I'm going to be starting up lessons in Arabic at my university and will also be starting Turkish independent study. My main reason for learning these languages is for later research as I progress in my degree in Linguistics. I'm also thinking about studying Tyvan on my own. I also plan on learning/would like to learn Norwegian/Danish/Swedish, Russian, Polish, and some other languages which would take to long to list.
  10. Hebrew Hammer
    I would like to learn Russian, Mandarin, Arabic, Bengali, Punjabi, Hindi, Farsi, Serbo-Croatian and Swahili. Perhaps fine tune my French a bit.

I have been studying Hindi, been learning it little by little, want to later move on to the above mentioned languages.
  11. RedBaltico
    RedBaltico
    I can speak Latvian, Russian and English. Right now I am learning Danish and Swedish, for the future planing to learn German, Spanish and probably Esperanto as well.

anyone who could help me or needs help from me can send a message
  12. Forward Union
    Forward Union
    I've been meaning to learn German for quite a while. My girlfriend is German, and despite trying for the entire summer of 2010 to self-teach it, spending (what would amount to) months in Germany over the course of the year, while taking two language courses in German, I can speak FUCK ALL. Because it's mind numbingly difficult, bullshit and ugly. The German language is the Stalingrad of all intellectual endeavours.
  13. Landsharks eat metal
    Landsharks eat metal
    I"m studying Russian and French now, but when I get a better grip on them, I plan to learn Hebrew, Norwegian, and maybe Turkmen.
  14. Rooster
    I know this is going to sound stupid but... I would love to be able to read cuneiform and be able to read/speak ancient Babylonian.
  15. Welshy
    I know this is going to sound stupid but... I would love to be able to read cuneiform and be able to read/speak ancient Babylonian.
    I can help you out with getting the resources (in PDF form) necessary to do this, if you would like.
  16. Sixiang
    Sixiang
    I'm about to start up learning Japanese when I start college this fall. I am excited. And I would like to learn Mandarin Chinese eventually if I can.
  17. khlib
    khlib
    I am learning Serbo-Croatian. Any native speakers or other people studying it here?
  18. farleft
    farleft
    Greetings, everyone.

Please don't laugh, but I'd really like to learn Esperanto. I really love the idea behind it.

For those that don't know, Esperanto was created to be an easy to learn second language for everyone to facilitate universal communication and understanding. Obviously, there is revolutionary potential there -- imagine if the proletariat of the world was able to communicate directly with each other? Also, it's awesome because it doesn't force any national language on anyone -- everyone can keep their native languages and the culture that goes along with it. And everyone is on an even playing field with Esperanto, since it's a second language for everybody. I think revolutionaries should use this language more, and I'm going to learn it and hopefully help to get it going again amongst revolutionaries (the language has some radical history).

Also, I would like to learn Spanish.

Please let me know if anyone would like to learn Esperanto with me. It would be much more fun than doing it alone. A great website to start learning Esperanto is Lernu.net.
    We already have a language to facilitate universal communication and understanding, it's called English.

I want to learn French and German.

I speak a little French and a little Mandarin, lived in China for over a year and now I live in Turkey.
    In both Turkey and China I taught English language.
  19. The Young Pioneer
    The Young Pioneer
    I studied Spanish in high school against my will so I'm totally turned off to it, but I do like...

-Russian (been studying it independently since high school, been there a few times. It's my passion.)

-Finnish (lived in Finland, can understand but not always reply )

-Hungarian (familial ties, I only know a little and haven't picked up a book in a while.)

-Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian (any knowledge of this comes from similar words in Russian. I have also had some close Serbian and Croatian friends who've helped me a bit with listening comprehension. The grammar is more difficult to me, and it's sort of on the backburner of my learning at the moment).

-Mandarin Chinese (I have the equivalent of university level 101-232 in this but I don't feel like I'm all that good at it. Though, it's not as difficult as it seems.)
  20. vmvincenews@gmail.com
    [email protected]
    I would like to be fluent in French myself; but all the resources out there mostly have improved my reading and writing skills but not my proficiency in speaking. Anyone have some tips to help me with this?
  21. X5N
    X5N
    Currently focused on Icelandic.

I am also interested in German and Arabic.
  22. farleft
    farleft
    Serbian & German.

If anyone can give me a hand with Serbian that would be great, using the "teach yourself" range. No rosetta stone or pimsleur for Serbian
  23. khlib
    khlib
    Bosnian Croatian Serbian: A Grammar by Ronelle Alexander is the BEST, hands down.
  24. The Young Pioneer
    The Young Pioneer
    Bosnian Croatian Serbian: A Grammar by Ronelle Alexander is the BEST, hands down.
    Yes, I have that one too, but found it lacking in certain things (has some issues with differentiation- labels some stuff Croatian that's actually distinct to Serbian and so forth). I think it has useful Serbian and Bosnian, but I had to look elsewhere for a decent Croatian grammar. I suggest Hrvatski Za Početnike and its continued series.
  25. Galileo
    Galileo
    I would like to get fluent in German and Finnish before learning anything new. I am quite good with german, though my conversation is noticeably slower than in English because I need to think more.
    Finnish people are generally impressed with my level of Finnish, but I think that has a lot more to do with my pronounciation rather than my knowledge of the language, which is still patchy, though I have been asked by several Finnish people if I am originally from Finland and just lived in Australia for a long time, so that's encouraging.

after this I'd like to learn...hmmm
    Russian
    Breton
    Norwegian
    Icelandic
  26. Igor
    Igor
    Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese mainly. And become more fluent in Russian.
  27. Ro Laren
    Ro Laren
    I'm interested in Arabic and Mandarin. I have a personal attraction to Arabic which is hard to explain, but I'm not sure if its enough to actually achieve fluency in it given the lack of materials and media. I tried studying it once before but learned the alphabet and stopped there.

Mandarin has loads of resources and better media, and is probably somewhat easier than Arabic. While I'm interested in it, I don't feel as strongly "pulled" towards it as Arabic, but I'm not sure how much that counts for.

I've studied Spanish and French before. I can read in both, but my speaking leaves a lot to be desired. I sometimes feel like I should "perfect" those before I move onto something else, but my interest will fizzle. It's not like I can't, in the event I need them, pick them back up fairly quickly.
  28. Tenka
    Tenka
    I want to learn Japanese, Swedish, German, and French, in that order of preference. What do I know? English, a bit of Spanish (losing interest quickly because I hate my grandmother who is the only person really in my life who prefers to speak it).

The internet is full of wonderful resources for learning all kinds of languages, and I even have a massive Swedish-English-Swedish dictionary, hardcover, but my progress in all study is like a snail to whose shell some cruel kid has taped a rock. Many distractions, some of them my fault.
  29. Maraam
    Maraam
    I've recently started to learn Japanese (下手だよ) and I'd like to start to learn some Mandarin over the summer, only spoken and I know they're very different languages but they're both useful.
  30. KobeB
    Italian.