Languages

1. PRC-UTE
    PRC-UTE
    Greetings, everyone.

Please don't laugh, but I'd really like to learn Esperanto. I really love the idea behind it.

For those that don't know, Esperanto was created to be an easy to learn second language for everyone to facilitate universal communication and understanding. Obviously, there is revolutionary potential there -- imagine if the proletariat of the world was able to communicate directly with each other? Also, it's awesome because it doesn't force any national language on anyone -- everyone can keep their native languages and the culture that goes along with it. And everyone is on an even playing field with Esperanto, since it's a second language for everybody. I think revolutionaries should use this language more, and I'm going to learn it and hopefully help to get it going again amongst revolutionaries (the language has some radical history).

Also, I would like to learn Spanish.

Please let me know if anyone would like to learn Esperanto with me. It would be much more fun than doing it alone. A great website to start learning Esperanto is Lernu.net.
    what's it sound like, the esperanto? like a latin language?

the founder of my political tradition, james Connolly was rumoured to have known it.
  2. Potemkin
    Many people mistake it for Italian or Spanish. By the way, a RevLeft Esperanto Usergroup has been created! Anyone that is interested, feel free to head on over. There's a bunch of information there already, including discussion of Esperanto's radical/revolutionary history, what the goals of the RevLeft group are, resources for learning, etc.

http://www.revleft.com/vb/esperanto-...216/index.html
  3. Dr Mindbender

ere, i think you're treading on this groups toes somewhat.

If you want to post in Esperanto language thats fine, but language learning and learning resources are the domain of this group.
  4. Potemkin
    Hmm... I'm not trying to tread on anything. I didn't create the group, and thought it was relevant and helpful to post resources there. I can post them here, as well.
  5. butterfly
    Mandarin. Is it as difficult as it sounds?
  6. Random Precision
    I'm focusing on Spanish right now. After I'm comfortable with my knowledge of that language I'd like to learn Russian, German and Arabic.
  7. Tower of Bebel
    Tower of Bebel
    I want to perfectly master English, French and German before moving on. My French is laging behind while English is improving and German is stagnating.
  8. krmchedlishvili
    krmchedlishvili
    Mandarin is not really difficult, the most difficult aspect of it is of course the writing system. Compared to other dialects of Chinese, it is probably the most simple. It only has 4 tones (5 if you count the 'toneless' tone). They are easy to master.
  9. Brother No. 1
    Brother No. 1
    i would like to learn more on mandirn i already have russian and Polish down
  10. My Heart is a Molotov
    My Heart is a Molotov
    Lately, I've been picking up a good amount of Singlish and Manglish.

At the moment I'm learning Malay. I got friends in Malaysia, its a close country to where I live and I just really really like the way the language is written.

I figure while I'm learning Malay I'm going to end up trying to learn Indonesian as well for pretty much the same reasons.

In the future I'd also like to learn Italian because that's my family background. And I guess learning it will help me with picking up some other European languages if needed.

Sometimes I'd also like to know basic conversational Vietnamese because my girlfriend's family is Vietnamese and I'd like to talk to all the Vietnamese store owners in my area. I tried once and realised I fail badly at tonal languages so it will probably never ever happen.

Tagalog also interests me. If you haven't noticed yet I think I've developed an interest in Oceanic Southeast Asian languages. Possibly because I like Southeast Asia but am really really bad at speaking tonal languages.
  11. LOLseph Stalin
    LOLseph Stalin
    I want to learn Russian, and I can probably help others with German as I have a firm grasp on it.
  12. Vincent P.
    Vincent P.
    French is my first language, and I can speak in english about as well. I have an low-medium level in spanish (working real hard on it, it's only a matter of a few months), and I started learning Latin last week (for the simple fun of reading classical latin litterature). Other languages I plan to learn: Chinese, Attic Greek and perhaps Arabic.

Esperanto looks nice as well Potemkin:P. I may try if I'm not too busy.
  13. PCommie
    Russian!!!

-pc
  14. LeninBalls
    LeninBalls
    weird post brb
  15. GeezAF
    GeezAF
    Deutsch, although Esperanto sounds like a good idea. I thought it was a Spanish dialect! I didn't realise it was a created language.
  16. Kukulofori
    Actively studying Dutch and Greek. I also speak basic Esperanto.
  17. Atrus
    Atrus
    I've been learning French for 5 years, I'm almost fluent when speaking, but if I were to talk to anyone online it would be difficult, I'm very poor grammatically [for an example, in my A levels, I got a high A grade in my speaking test, and a U in my written test] but I would love to talk to anyone in French should they wish to.
  18. Black_Flag
    Black_Flag
    I'd like to learn Irish and German and possibly Spanish, which i already know a bit of. So if anyone could help out with some learning materials or something that'd be great.
  19. Velkas
    Velkas
    I'm currently studying Welsh and Mandarin. In the future, I hope to learn Finnish, Anglo-Saxon, Greek, Gaelic, and whatever else seems interesting.
  20. ezza_lv
    ezza_lv
    I know Latvian Russian, and English as you see!
    I want to learn Spanish, to read something or talk with Latin Americans, also I'm interested in Italian, it's kinda nice language though
  21. Invincible Summer
    Invincible Summer
    Mandarin is not really difficult, the most difficult aspect of it is of course the writing system. Compared to other dialects of Chinese, it is probably the most simple. It only has 4 tones (5 if you count the 'toneless' tone). They are easy to master.
    For native non-tonal language speakers, the usage of the tones is difficult, IMO.

I've got some basic/intermediate German experience, but I'd like to expand my vocabulary, as well as learn French, Japanese, and Mandarin.
  22. The Red Next Door
    i am trying to improve my German and i was learning russian for awhile, i would like to learn polish
  23. toughlove
    toughlove
    I have studied some Spanish, but I am currently studying Arabic (MSA, but I would appreciate any study materials that people have).

I also would like to learn German.
  24. Black Star
    Black Star
    I'm fairly advanced with French. I did to improve my speaking and writing, but I am on the right track. My real passion, however, is with Russian. I'm a natural language learner and Russian is apparently a challenge, so it should be interesting.
  25. sanpal
    sanpal
    I'm fairly advanced with French. I did to improve my speaking and writing, but I am on the right track. My real passion, however, is with Russian. I'm a natural language learner and Russian is apparently a challenge, so it should be interesting.
    И будь я хоть негром преклонных годов,
    И то б без унынья и лени,
    Я русский бы выучил только за то,
    Что им разговаривал Ленин.

Владимир Маяковский.
  26. Black Star
    Black Star
    What does that mean? I'm not very far in my learnings of Russian and I'm not willing to translate it in an online translator.
  27. sanpal
    sanpal
    What does that mean? I'm not very far in my learnings of Russian and I'm not willing to translate it in an online translator.
    This is fragment of poem "Vladimir Ilyich Lenin" written by Vladimir Mayakovsky, russian proletarian poet.
    [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
  28. Svante
    Svante
    förväg
  29. Brady
    Brady
    I've been trying to learn Spanish for a year now. I'd also like to learn Irish, Basque, Greek, and maybe Russian. And by the time I've managed all that it'll be near enough time to die.
  30. Autodidakt
    Autodidakt
    I am fluent in English and Dutch and almost flent in German. I can also read Plattdeutsch and Esperanto pretty easily because of those languages. I am beginnning studies in Spanish and Russian and I hope to be fluent in about three to four years. In between, I'll see about learning Afrikaans and maybe even French, but I'm not too excited about French.