Languages

1. krmchedlishvili
    krmchedlishvili
    what languages does everyone want to study?
  2. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    Have been working on French; did a little Spanish back when, would like to add Mandarin, classical Greek, and maybe Coptic. But first, a bit of fluency in French.
  3. revolution inaction
    revolution inaction
    I'm learning Spanish at the moment, I'm doing a gcse. I might also be leaning Japanese soon, there is a course at my college so I'm going to check it out, but i think it might be a bit basic.
    I'v done a bit of French and German in the past, but not much, also I want to learn Mandarin Chinese.

Are we allowed to post links to torrents?
  4. F9
    F9
    Have been working on French; did a little Spanish back when, would like to add Mandarin, classical Greek, and maybe Coptic. But first, a bit of fluency in French.
    classical greek?you mean ancient greek?( i dont know if they are told and classical tbh)
  5. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    classical greek?you mean ancient greek?( i dont know if they are told and classical tbh)
    *shrugs*

Greek for literature and etymology, rather than conversation.
  6. Dr Mindbender
    I want to learn Tagalog, Japanese, Russian and Irish. In more or less that order.
  7. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    I want to learn Tagalog, Japanese, Russian and Irish. In more or less that order.
    Why those ones?

French was my first L2, and I'm sticking with it out of convenience; the rest I selected for optimal global and cultural coverage.

except Coptic. I just have a soft spot for Coptic.
  8. Dr Mindbender
    Why those ones?
    Tagalog- for a reason i don't want to post publicly,
    Japanese- Because i study ninjutsu.
    Russian - I've always had a fascination for Russian culture. (also i'm a closet tankie )
    Irish- To spite the anglo centric hegemony and reclaim my heritage.
  9. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    Tagalog- for a reason i don't want to post publicly,
    Japanese- Because i study ninjutsu.
    Russian - I've always had a fascination for Russian culture. (also i'm a closet tankie )
    Irish- To spite the anglo centric hegemony and reclaim my heritage.

Excellent.
    Now we can all wildly speculate on why you study Tagalog.

I have to admit, you have something with the Russian. Best national anthem ever.
  10. Sankofa
    Sankofa
    Besides the languages I have now...I don't know, every single language in existence?

I study language in university, so I'm already bogged down in courses and a part-time job, but it's honestly no excuse If I really want to learn these.

If I had to narrow it down, I would choose:

Yoruba: A major West African language group...many slaves that came to the West are originally from Yoruba speaking areas, particularly Latin America. There are huge communities of Yoruba in Cuba and Brazil, for example.

French/German/Portuguese: I speak a little of all three. I'm hoping my proficiency in Spanish will help me out with French and Portuguese, and English for German.

Korean: Again, I speak a little Korean, but it's very poor! Hangul looks great, but I'm more interested in this language at a historical standpoint. I happen to know many Korean-Chinese people, so I definitely have the base for practice.

Cantonese: An expansion on my Mandarin speaking ability. Also, many Gong Fu movies were made in Cantonese (much to my dismay upon starting Mandarin study!) Guandong uses Traditional writing instead of Simplified, and has more tones (yuck!) so that's a minor set back.

These aren't all, I would love to learn twice this number, but I'm starting small
  11. Cult of Reason
    Cult of Reason
    Primarily Russian, at the moment, though I have looked at the wikibook for Korean as well.
  12. RedAnarchist
    RedAnarchist
    I can speak basic French and would like to be fluent in French. I would also like to learn Spanish.
  13. krmchedlishvili
    krmchedlishvili
    I have a ton of Coptic materials I could share with you. I need to set up a website.
  14. krmchedlishvili
    krmchedlishvili
    I can help with Russian
  15. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    I have a ton of Coptic materials I could share with you. I need to set up a website.
    That sounds awesome.
  16. Raúl Duke
    Raúl Duke
    Italian for now.
    Later German.
    After that either/both Japanese and Arabic.
  17. krmchedlishvili
    krmchedlishvili
    which dialect(s) of arabic?
  18. krmchedlishvili
    krmchedlishvili
    send your email address to me in PM and ill begin sending you stuff
  19. Raúl Duke
    Raúl Duke
    which dialect(s) of arabic?
    The one from Lebanon I suppose?
    Or the dialect that is most well-understood across the middle east (Egyptian?).

Although first I plan to focus on Italian.
  20. F9
    F9
    Although first I plan to focus on Italian.
    Io sono Fuserg9. I think it means " I am Fuserg9"
  21. Sankofa
    Sankofa
    The one from Lebanon I suppose?
    Or the dialect that is most well-understood across the middle east (Egyptian?).
    Wouldn't that be MSA? I hear Egyptian Arabic is really popular from all the movies they make being popular all around the Arabic speaking world.
  22. Raúl Duke
    Raúl Duke
    Io sono Fuserg9. I think it means " I am Fuserg9"

Io sono JohnnyDarko. Como stai?

Mi piace...revleft?
  23. F9
    F9

Io sono JohnnyDarko. Como stai?

Mi piace...revleft?
    Hehe i have been doing Italians for 2 months now, i should probably get to know what those mean didnt i?I only understood that yourname is JohnnyDarko, and the word revleft!
    What they mean?
  24. krmchedlishvili
    krmchedlishvili
    yes it means that but you only need to say io if you want to emphasize that YOU are he, and noone else. a simple sono would suffice.
  25. Raúl Duke
    Raúl Duke
    yes it means that but you only need to say io if you want to emphasize that YOU are he, and noone else. a simple sono would suffice.
    That's true.

I took one year of italian in high school. (during my junior year)

"Como stai" is like :how are you doing?

Mi piace means :I like (or something of that sort)
  26. krmchedlishvili
    krmchedlishvili
    literally mi piace means 'it pleases me', what we call an impersonal construction (the verb 'to like' is formed with an impersonal construction in many languages)
  27. Black Sheep
    I wanna learn spanish,and improve my crappy german.

My GF speaks italian,but i trust noone to be affiliated with her..!
  28. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    I wanna learn spanish,and improve my crappy german.

My GF speaks italian,but i trust noone to be affiliated with her..!
    way to be progressive.
  29. PRC-UTE
    PRC-UTE
    tá Gaeilge agam (I have Irish) for anyone that's interested.

I'd like to improve my French (haven't practiced in a long time, but hopefully it will come back). I'd love to dabble in the Russian.

Spanish is my priority here tho
  30. Potemkin
    Greetings, everyone.

Please don't laugh, but I'd really like to learn Esperanto. I really love the idea behind it.

For those that don't know, Esperanto was created to be an easy to learn second language for everyone to facilitate universal communication and understanding. Obviously, there is revolutionary potential there -- imagine if the proletariat of the world was able to communicate directly with each other? Also, it's awesome because it doesn't force any national language on anyone -- everyone can keep their native languages and the culture that goes along with it. And everyone is on an even playing field with Esperanto, since it's a second language for everybody. I think revolutionaries should use this language more, and I'm going to learn it and hopefully help to get it going again amongst revolutionaries (the language has some radical history).

Also, I would like to learn Spanish.

Please let me know if anyone would like to learn Esperanto with me. It would be much more fun than doing it alone. A great website to start learning Esperanto is Lernu.net.
123 ...