What are you doing to improve your health?

1. Le Libérer
    Le Libérer
    Last year was a tough one. I was laid up most of it because of a car accident that injured 2 disks in my neck, as well as being diagnosed with cancer. I feeling better all around, but during that time, I gained over 25 lbs, from inactivity.

I've lost 22 lbs of it since June 1st. At first I was doing a low fat diet and taebo 3 times a week, but stalled on the weight loss. So now I've switched to a low carb diet. I'm not able to work out as extensively as I was on the low fat diet, but am gaining alot of muscle with my work outs (taebo boot camp) and the high protein diet.

Needless to say, I got my mojo back. I'm not in any pain atm, except for my left ankle that wont stop swelling up. Now, I am focusing on getting my body builder bod back like I had 8 years ago.

Im really surprised how much muscle I have gained since radiation therapy.

So, what is it you do to be healthier?
  2. Mujer Libre
    Mujer Libre
    Well, a few months ago I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries syndrome, which meant that I've gained quite a bit of weight (around the middle) and am at an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease and subfertility.

I've gone on hormone therapy (the pill) for the symptoms, but the best management of PCOS is a loss of body fat, so I've started working out- pretty much weights and a bit of cardio 2-3 times a week, as well as walking a couple of k's every day. I try to eat sensibly, but that doesn't always work.

I've lost quite a bit of fat around the middle, but my weight has stayed the same since I've put on a bit of muscle- which is good because I have a really strong family history of back pain and arthritis.

So yeah, that's me.
  3. bcbm
    bcbm
    You two put me to shame. I just do some push-ups and sit-ups everyday and general biking around, which can either be a lot or barely any depending on where I am. And, you know, smoking while I'm biking really helps.
  4. RedAnarchist
    RedAnarchist
    For the past few months, I've been going to the gym every day, and occasionally going swimming as well. I usually do 5000m on the rowing machines and half and hour on the bikes and treadmills.

Earlier in the year, I weighed about 220lbs, or almost 16 stone (for someone who is 5 foot 9 and a half, thats quite overweight). I'm currently just over 200lbs, or 14 stone 4. I aim to reach 12 or 13 stone, which is an healthy weight for someone of my height and age.

I've cut out Diet Coke (I used to be a complete addict - there were weekends when I would buy a 15-pack of Diet Coke on Saturday evening, stay up all night and they would all be gone by Monday afternoon. I do have the occasional Diet Coke, but nowhere near what I used to. I've cut out all junk food and always have lunch (I always used to just snack occasionally throughout the day).

I've also stopped staying up all night, instead I go to bed around 9 or 10pm and wake up around 7am.

I've also starting brushing my teeth on a much more regular basis - I haven't been to a dentist in years, so brushing my teeth is something I should be doing.
  5. Mujer Libre
    Mujer Libre
    You two put me to shame. I just do some push-ups and sit-ups everyday and general biking around, which can either be a lot or barely any depending on where I am. And, you know, smoking while I'm biking really helps.
    Wel, my walking is for transportation- I just never realised how far I walk every day!
  6. Le Libérer
    Le Libérer
    I have the same thing going on. I havent lost alot of weight, though one would argue 23 lbs in alot of weight, but measured last night and have lost 9 and a half inches all over, 4 inches in my waist alone. So I'm losing fat but not pounds due to building muscle.

The first phase of this journey I was on a low fat diet, but loss was slow, 15 lbs in 3 months. Now that I have moved into a lower carb diet and not counting calories anymore its excellerated.

But when you are trying to lose weight, its never fast enough. I have a whole new wardrobe a friend gave me a few months ago. I wasnt even able to button the jeans, but now can, though still a bit tight. So I have found thats the best system for me to track instead if weighing.