Dealing with Writer's Block

1. #FF0000
    #FF0000
    I've been struggling with writing for years now. I write bits but nothing ever becomes of it. I can't even call myself a writer anymore, really.

So I figure I'm just the guy to start a thread in which we all share our tips on beating writer's block.

Anyone got any?
  2. BurnTheOliveTree
    BurnTheOliveTree
    Get someone to give you an assignment of some kind with crippling restrictions.

I had block for about 8 months, was told by an english tutor to write a short story with less than one hundred words in five minutes. I wrote a piece about taking the decision to go cold turkey from heroin, called Taking On A Climb. It was okay, and more importantly it was as easy as cake. Block was gone.

-Alex
  3. Bastable
    Bastable
    I attain new experiences, put myself out of my comfort zone. I watch a movie/read a book from a genre I don't usually view, visit new parts of the city, go on a holiday, learn a new language. for me that generally works at beating writers block
  4. Schrödinger's Cat
    [FONT=Arial]The simplest answer: take a break. [/FONT]
  5. #FF0000
    #FF0000
    [FONT=Arial]The simplest answer: take a break. [/FONT]
    Hahaha. I've been doing so for more than a year now.
  6. Lost In Translation
    Lost In Translation
    Procrastination always seems to cure my writer's block. I just sit there for a while, doing something else. A few hours pass by before I realize I still have a essay to finish. It is with that rush of adrenaline with which I get my ideas to flow.
  7. which doctor
    Nicotine is commonly used to break writer's block, but I'm not sure if it would work in your case since you've been blocking for so long. All sorts of drugs besides nicotine have also been used to stimulate writing as they help you get to know your mind.
  8. shorelinetrance
    shorelinetrance
    I still have a essay to finish.
    highschool essays, we all know how difficult those are....dickish attitude aside.

last night was my first time writing in a few months, and i wrote a 5 page essay on how to internet troll properly, try something different, try a style of writing you haven't attempted before, write shitty poetry.
  9. RadicalRadical
    RadicalRadical
    Yeah, right now I start writing something and it is detailed and good in the beginning but around 10 pages into it I start getting less detailed, less creative, and I run out of ideas.
  10. gla22
    gla22
    Do something worth writing about. Expand your experiences.
  11. Angry Young Man
    Angry Young Man
    Bear it and know that it will come back. I always seem to go through phases of fertility and drought. I think I'm just on the edge of a fertile season
  12. Sarah Palin
    Sarah Palin
    I had incredible writers block, one word would be written only to be erased 15 seconds later. Then a teacher of mine came to me with a picture prompt of all things, and I wrote my own favorite piece.
  13. Boy Named Crow
    Boy Named Crow
    I find that I get writers block when I'm faced with what seems to be an insurmountable task. Like when you look at a blank page and or notebook and think... I need to fill this now.

Its a bit like fear I guess.

I try to take breaks and write short pieces with no preasure like a poem or short story thats just for fun and without any planning. Try this a few times and then try going back to the big project.
  14. The Feral Underclass
    I find that walking helps me focus my attention. We have a really beautiful large cemetery about two minutes walk from my house and it's really awesome to walk around and because we're at the top of one of the seven hills in Sheffield youcan see right down into the city centre which meets in the valley and then all around the other hills. But even just walking home from work I find helps me understand what I'm writing far better. The worse thing I find is just sitting in front of my computer trying to force it out.
  15. Trystan
    Trystan
    Use the Burroughs/Gysin cut-up technique and you get new ideas pretty quick.
  16. Il Medico
    Il Medico
    I have one major project going, however, constant writer's block has slowed my progress to a halt. I mostly pass my time writing poems and short stories at this point.
  17. blackstone
    blackstone
    Don't be afraid to write bits and pieces. I organize my work. This worked well when i use to write 10+ page papers. I knew what topics i wanted to address, gathered up all my examples, etc.

Then i broke it down. I'll say ill devote 2 pages to this topic(with supporting examples), another 2 to another topic, etc, etc.

So the problem never was what i to write about, but just doing it.