Favorite environment to write in?

1. politics student
    politics student
    Where do you enjoy writing?
    Do you enjoy writing at a certain time of day?

I often write at night but I suffer from insomnia.
  2. Schrödinger's Cat
    [FONT=Arial]I shut my door and write at night, with lots of apple tea and bread by my side. I want to get a laptop, though. My back hurts after each project. [/FONT]
  3. loveme4whoiam
    loveme4whoiam
    I have the fantasy of buying an antique writing desk, all oak and sage-green leather surface, ink-well, etc... a bourgeois aim, to be certain, but one I doubt will ever come to fruition.

I tend to write best on my computer, as I am constantly changing and revisiting sections (I read somewhere that Terry Pratchett, when he cannot sleep, gets up, turns to his manuscript, and reads through what he has written in the previous couple of days, continually checking the flow and editting. I'd like to make the comparision between this and myself, but unfortunately I tend to sleep through the nights ). My desk is fairly cluttered, and I tend to have some kind of background music or video playing as I can't work in silence. I think my best work is done when I'm listening to classical music which complements what I am writing at the time; if I'm writing a battle scene, I'll stick on the soundtrack to Gladiator or 300, or the 1812 Overture or something, to get my brain in the right frame of mind.

I also tend to note down all over the place, if you can call that writing. I have notebooks full of reams of ideas, bits of story, character bios etc.
  4. politics student
    politics student
    My main issue is taking book ideas to the stage of writing. My plan for the UK nationalism book I broke down into chapters and broad covering, then last night took the first few chapters to a broken down what each will cover....

Its just taking a well planned idea to the stage of writing.
  5. Trystan
    Trystan
    This is what I do:

I usually write in my room, and on my laptop
    I get (moderately) drunk before doing it;
    This makes it easier for me to "brainstorm" (it does for me, anyway)
    I wake up next morning, look at the poem, keep the promising bits, discard the rest, and work with what I've got (edit, reedit etc.)
  6. Lost In Translation
    Lost In Translation
    I write well in the morning (between breakfast and lunch) or night time (9:00pm to as late as I can). It's just me, my laptop, a glass of milk, and lots of crackers (salted top).
  7. RedAnarchist
    RedAnarchist
    I've never really written anything longer than a short story, so I wouldn't know what environment I would consider to be my favourite. When I write poems, I tend to be listening to music and very often I write my best poetry in the evenings.
  8. Mujer Libre
    Mujer Libre
    I ted to get ideas in bed, so I keep a notebook in my bedside drawer, and I can write short pieces in bed. Other than that, I sometimes go to the park. For extended pieces I usually end up at my desk, but that's more a matter of utility than because it's a nice space... As someone said, I'd like a comfortable, aesthetically pleasing study space, but that's a way off yet...
  9. black magick hustla
    black magick hustla
    i am not very good with notes so i just keep mental notes of things that get my attention. i sometimes write down my dreams though, because i have really cool and fucked up dreams and i dont want to forget them because i get a lot of fiction inspiration from them. i write in the computer, i cant write long pieces in a notebook.
  10. Bad Grrrl Agro
    Bad Grrrl Agro
    I usually go with one of two options:

1) Late morning to mid-day I sit down at some little coffee shop with a cup of coffee and write my poetry for a few hours

2) Late at night I do the same at home minus the coffee in that case. (this produces my darkest, most melancholy works)

When I manage to get back to my natural habitat* of the north woods of Wisconsin, I also tend to write a lot.

*for lack of better words to describe what it is for me.
  11. gla22
    gla22
    Good chair, no noise, and on a laptop.
  12. Angry Young Man
    Angry Young Man
    I went out to this lush park to write. Alas it was freezing cold and I couldn't get comfy.
  13. Sean
    Sean
    Writing outdoors has never really worked for me. I've tried writing while camping, but I'm normally too exhausted for my brain to function. If I'm going a walk I take a pen and pad with me and jot down little things that pop into my mind that I'd otherwise lose. I normally write early morning/at night on my laptop in the wiki set up I've doubtless mentioned before. I have it set up almost like a serial killer's scrapbook of reference photos from strange people, things I've scanned, quotes, maps, news reports, timelines, hell I even have a little icon for my wiki. It all helps to immerse me in the world of the book, plus I never lose even the stuff I delete.
  14. Armand Iskra
    Armand Iskra
    I often write at night, especially in my room, using the laptop computer or through the pen.
  15. ev
    I write on a typewriter where I dwell, sometimes in the company of a friend and we collaborate on projects (screenplays)..
  16. MilitantAnarchist
    I write around people, like at parties, in pubs, its easier for me to write in a social enviroment
  17. RedRise
    RedRise
    Seems like lots of writers prefer to write at night or late in the evening, which is the same for me. Generally I write whenever I have free time (I'm still in bloody school) but I have to be in a quiet, comfortable area - preferably with internet access.
  18. redmarxist90
    redmarxist90
    I write better in the evening and at night. I can't write in total silence so i listen to music or go where there is people and noise.
  19. The Ben G
    The Ben G
    I prefer listening to something very fast and angry while I write. Preferably Napalm Death or Crass. I also like to write in a dark place.
  20. Il Medico
    Il Medico
    I write at my desk in silence. If I listen to music I tend to start using phrases from the songs I am listening to to fill in stuff when I hit a block. It is annoying having to go through and delete them so I don't listen to music when I write anymore.
  21. El Rojo
    El Rojo
    i tend to write in the evening. my rents house actually has a big ol polished wooden desk, which is awesome to spread out materials and notes ect ect. also tend to consume industrial quantities of coffe during, to keep my concentration sharp

sometimes i write in silence, sometimes w music, depending on exactly what im writting. i tend to play grim or v powerful music during battle bits, to get my mind in the right frame.
  22. OhYesIdid
    OhYesIdid
    I need silence when I write. I write in my bedroom at my desk in the far corner away from the door which I shut. I write whenever I am able. I do it throughout the day whenever I can/want to and usually before I go to bed.
    Same here. Although I find I've conditioned myself to write in a desk, sitting. Any other environment is good for taking notes, but serious writing can only happen there for me.
  23. Sixiang
    Sixiang
    The time of day doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's not meal time. I prefer writing in solitude and silence, though.
  24. jaki cold
    I like to write at night as way to get my thoughts and feelings out of my head when I'm trying to sleep. I also like to take long walks during the day to places I've never been, and write when the time is right.
  25. Zoroaster
    Zoroaster
    I usually write while listening to either classical music or Woody Guthrie, with a pile of books for resources to my right, a pencil and piece of paper to my left for notes, and my laptop or iPad to my front. Although I may start writing at the Me & Ollie's that's a 20-minute walk from my house
  26. Tenka
    Tenka
    I don't have a favourite place to write. I am chained to my laptop in an inadequately air-conditioned, termite-eaten bungalow full of obnoxious distractions from about 10AM to midnight. Sometimes it is almost comfortable to write when I wake very early in the morning, unless my sleep was horrible which it often is.

Usually, I find myself writing in few-minute bursts when mother is away at work and grandmother is occupied with the TV (and not talking to it too much) in the afternoon, but it's all rather variable. Chaos. I average something like 240 words every half-hour of dedicated writing time (not to say I am ever capable of writing for that many consecutive minutes...) when I really put my back into it. I've heard some people can write well over a thousand words of fiction in 20 minutes, which fills me with jealous rage. Why am I so slow? I've even taken about a half hour to write this post due to being called to certain chores in the middle of writing.

Anyway, yeah all I need is my computer, a place to sit and a few minutes of silence to get down a paragraph or two. It's far from an ideal environment--it's just what I can make do with.