Rap is Capitalist

1. Dust Bunnies
    Discuss
  2. bcbm
    bcbm
    How can an entire genre of music be capitalist? An especially absurd criticism coming from a "Rock/Metal" group, given the capitalist nature of both those genres as well. Any music that can have money made off of it will. That's the nature of the economy. What a stupid argument.
  3. Jeoh
    Jeoh
    Rap is a pretty diverse genre, and I'm surprised we're discussing Rap in a Rock/Metal group.

Stuff like Immortal Technique or Public Enemy, I wouldn't really call that capitalist. Fuck, why even bother labelling the music as 'capitalist'? It's music!
  4. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    Have you never heard of the term "corporate rock whore"?
  5. The Essence Of Flame Is The Essence Of Change
    Ok while many metalheads are completely against hip hop and rap I have to say that I find this stupid.First of all its racist to label a whole current of music under one description.Music applies to people for some reasons and those generally have nothing to do with political interests.That being said I do recognize that the majority of hip hop and rap are mainstream/commercial and thus MORTAL ENEMYalong with pop and all it's poisonous tentacles in music waves.If you dismiss that however there is a number of hip hop/rap bands that deserve actually some attention.The only thing closely to hip hop I hear is a new kind of music evolving by various mostly punk bands here which fuses anarcho-punk with hip hop and leftist lyric and that's pretty damn AWESOME
  6. Dyslexia! Well I Never!
    Dyslexia! Well I Never!
    Fine let's ignore all the degradation of women and the shameless pro-crime bullshit and the racially divisive nature of most mainstream rap (*ahem* I'm looking at you Gangsta rap.)

Lets just focus of the few groups (it isn't a fucking band unless it plays it's own instruments) that TheSmasher42 and Jeoh like because obviously those few exceptions validate and uplift the whole overarching Genre of rap despite most of it being pro-exploitation capitalist dross.
  7. The Essence Of Flame Is The Essence Of Change
    The Essence Of Flame Is The Essence Of Change
    Wtf Dyslexia?Racially Divisive Nature?How can a style of music be automatically racially divisive for fuck's shake?Degradation of women?Oh, so ''sex drugs and rock 'n roll'' or the classic heavy metal ''I haz beard,drink gallons of beer,ride a choppa and use chicks as walking holes'' is not degrading eh?And as NoXion said, have you never heard the term ''corporate rock whore''?Mainstream and stupid messages find their way in every music and generally art,some streams more,some streams less.But you can NEVER generalise,generalisation is the death of logic.

I'm surprised we're discussing Rap in a Rock/Metal group.
    Well technically there is rap rock,rapcore,rap metal and nu metal
  8. Dyslexia! Well I Never!
    Dyslexia! Well I Never!
    I never claimed that Rock or Metal weren't sexist I simply claimed that rap (particularly gansta-rap) supports a divisive "Ghetto" mentality, more specifically a xenophobic, anti-homosexual sub-culture that glorifies the degradation of women, ignorance, criminality and violence in the name of material gain.

I am not against rapping or MCing these are musical styles I have been known to enjoy however the negative associations of rap as a genre although often overstated are not entirely without basis in fact.

Also Smasher, to assume that every single example of any given type would be considered individually is absurd. To participate in a discussion of a genre of musical expression (a rather large generalisation if ever I spotted one) and then argue against someone on the basis of that someone having made a generalisation is frankly somewhat humourous.

Generalisations as a (hopefully) logical assumptions of majority based on observed evidence. Should however be subject to logical review and redefinition.

So if you care to reveal to me how a genre that coined the phrase "Ride or get rolled on." A genre that is widely used to talk of the violent, degrading and often criminal acts of (generally) minoritive peoples in the cities of the world as they attempt to become ignorant, xenophobic (lumpen) bourgeois fatcat carbon copies of the people they claim to despise is not promoting division between those who have and those who have not please do. It will be enlightening.

Also if generalisation is the death of logic and all generalisations are illogical if I set a candle alight is it not logical it will burn? Or is that just an inherently illogical generalisation based on the relatively few candles I have seen compared to the vast number that have and will ever exist.
  9. The Red Next Door
    How about this fact? In every music gerne, or in the arts in general, you have the bad shit and the good shit, its doesn't matter which music gerne it is, there always gonna be bad shit in it. As leftists we are suppose to be open minded to each other musical taste. We generalize a whole music gerne because of some bad apple in the gerne.
  10. RHIZOMES
    RHIZOMES
    I just joined the group to tell you all that you're all fucking idiots.

"...played out on a cultural and commercial terrain that embraces black cultural products and simultaneously denies their complexity and coherence. This denial is partly fueled by a mainstream cultural adherence to the traditional paradigms of Western classical music as the highest legitimate standard for musical creation [...] Western classical music continues to serve as the primary intellectual and legal standard and point of reference for "real" musical complexity and composition [...] Unlike the complexity of Western classical music, which is primarily represented in its melodic and harmonic structures, the complexity of rap music, like many Afrodiasporic musics, is in the rhythmic and percussive density and organization"

--Tricia Rose, "Black Noise"
    I think everyone in this thread should read some Tricia Rose and purge themselves of their subconscious racism.

Also further, read this interview to have a look at why the gangsta rap form has taken a particular domination of the music industry:
    http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...866048,00.html

Particularly these answers are of relevance:
    Coincidentally, I was watching the concert movie Dave Chappelle's Block Party the other night, in which he puts on a bunch of these alternative hip-hop artists that you talk about in your book — Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Kanye West. Other than Kanye, why don't these artists sell as well as the Jay-Zs or the 50 Cents?
    There's a long history of a particular pleasure in consuming the ideas of black-ghetto-excess dysfunction. It used to not be ghettoized in setting because black people weren't always urban people, but the same images can be found in American history for centuries. So this idea that a certain kind of sexual deviance or violent behavior defines black culture has had a huge market in commercial mainstream culture for at least 200 years. Also, sexist images, which hip-hop has a lot of, seem to do very well across the cultural spectrum. So sexuality and sexual domination sell. Racial stereotypes sell. The market is more consolidated, which makes it easier for those images to perpetuate themselves.
    And those artists we just mentioned don't traffic in those stereotypes, so they don't fit into that corporate, consolidated structure, don't get airplay and therefore don't sell, right?
    That's right. And of course it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. They deny this. They say that they don't influence sales, that there's no payola, that there's no influence on content. But there's ample evidence that that's false. If you play a song enough, you start singing it. It's really almost that simple. From what I understand, stations used to play a song on average about 40 times a week. It's up to 140 times a week now.
    Look, I don't want it to seem like I'm bashing everything about Lil Wayne and Jay-Z, because I'm not. I think they're both very talented. If you look at the metaphors Lil Wayne produces, they're amazing; they're very creative. It's the substance. What are you making metaphors about 24 hours a day? Same thing with Jay-Z. Even he has acknowledged that he's "dumbed his music down" so that he can sell records. This economic imperative has had more of an impact on hip-hop than [on] rock or soul or R&B.
    In these hip-hop wars, what's one of the more prominent arguments from critics that you counter in your book?
    Hip-hop causes violence. This is a very common argument that's been made pretty much from the beginning. There are a number of things that are wrong with this. One is that it posits an incredibly simpleminded causal relationship between music that has violent narrative in it and actual violent action. Hip-hop takes the bigger weight for this problem than anyone else. And the reason it takes such a big weight is not because it's any more violent than slasher movies or than horror movies or action movies in general but because there is a denial about the violent world that we created in post-1960s black America. These are communities whose stability has been profoundly disrupted. And when you destabilize communities, violence always goes up.
    The hip-hop-causes-violence camp is incredibly dishonest about the profound role of structural racism, of economic disadvantange that has been produced over decades. It's not just personal, lazy behavior. It's a dishonest way of dumping on hip-hop a set of conditions that we are responsible for as a nation. That being said, that doesn't mean that a constantly violent narrative is a good thing. I'm not suggesting there shouldn't be a challenge to it to some degreee. But it's not the source of the problem. It's a red herring.
    So, are both sides wrong then?
    Definitely. The critics are a little bit more wrong than the defenders. But overall, both arguments have enormous flaws. The defenders are the most wrong about gender and sexism, and the haters are most wrong about issues of violence and culture. I'm very upset about both sides in this war, and I think the only way out is for the rest of us on the sidelines to get involved with an educated, sophisticated position. You have to be subtle, not extreme, in thinking about what's right and what's wrong when it comes to hip-hop.
    I also think everyone who is contrasting rap's "bigotry" should do a bit of study on why rock is mostly a white and male genre of music. It isn't just because we like it the most.

/leavegroup
  11. ComradeRed22'91
    ComradeRed22'91
    Alright. i hate rap. And i didn't want to click on this because i knew exactly what they were going to say; "There's actually alot of real rap out there, etc.'
    i certainly agree that rock can too be capitalist, look at Motley Crue or hell, emo bands of nowadays. But the mainstream hip hop 'culture' only promotes stupidity and an obsession with material gain. And as such i oppose this in all forms. But even beyond that...rap has to be the most watered down form of music there is. it's a guy saying lyrics into a microphone over a beat that aren't even real musicians. and even then...listening to the 'real rap' of the 80's is like listening to the village people.

it's nice to see a fellow rap hating person on the far left, who is in support of rock.
  12. ComradeRed22'91
    ComradeRed22'91
    "...played out on a cultural and commercial terrain that embraces black cultural products and simultaneously denies their complexity and coherence. This denial is partly fueled by a mainstream cultural adherence to the traditional paradigms of Western classical music as the highest legitimate standard for musical creation [...] Western classical music continues to serve as the primary intellectual and legal standard and point of reference for "real" musical complexity and composition [...] Unlike the complexity of Western classical music, which is primarily represented in its melodic and harmonic structures, the complexity of rap music, like many Afrodiasporic musics, is in the rhythmic and percussive density and organization"

--Tricia Rose, "Black Noise"
    and that, too. Why does it have to be a culture war?
    why does someone even think about it that much? i mean...the way in which people are criticizing R&B for having European elements, therefore not being purely 'African' is, just as you pointed out 'subconscious racism," that is a form of subtle Black Nationalism, which is inherently reactionary. it's annoying.
  13. Stand Your Ground
    Stand Your Ground
    Unless they're giving music out free, it's all capitalist.
  14. MilitantWorker
    MilitantWorker
    this shit needs to be removed ASAP

otherwise prepare for retaliation

hip hop for life
  15. ∞
    I like both...so please stop this nonsense
  16. Property Is Robbery
    Property Is Robbery
    That's like saying that rock/metal is fascist because some white power imbeciles started "Rock Against Communism"

hip hop and metal can both be revolutionary or capitalist, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should make generalizations.

Also look at these Dethklok lyrics (I still love them)
    "I want to keep my money,
    and give away absolutely nothing"
  17. WeAreReborn
    WeAreReborn
    Well here is a statement for you. Assumptions are reactionary. There are plenty of Anarchist or left wing Rappers or Metal bands or Rock bands or Folk etc. etc. It is foolish to think otherwise.
  18. WeAreReborn
    WeAreReborn
    and that, too. Why does it have to be a culture war?
    why does someone even think about it that much? i mean...the way in which people are criticizing R&B for having European elements, therefore not being purely 'African' is, just as you pointed out 'subconscious racism," that is a form of subtle Black Nationalism, which is inherently reactionary. it's annoying.
    Black nationalism is not really reactionary in its essence. The black panthers only wanted to created a separate community because they felt it would be the only way to achieve freedom. Now look at the majority of the black community, they are one of the most oppressed groups, right next to Muslims and LGBTs in America, let alone the whole world. So you know nothing of hip hop, rap or black rights so please refrain from talking about all of them.
  19. RedZelenka
    RedZelenka
    Black nationalism is not really reactionary in its essence.
    I find it hard to consider a community largely identified by a traditionalist religion, ethnic nationalism, anti-semitism and racial superiority to be anything but reactionary.
  20. L.A.P.
    L.A.P.
    I thought that when joining a Leftist forum I could escape the stupidity of the rock vs. hip-hop arguments especially the "music is like candy, throw away the rapper" statement which I suggest the user who put that in leave the forum or grow the fuck up. My favorite genres of music are hip-hop and heavy metal and I hope all you morons realize that out of all forms of music, hip-hop and heavy metal have the most in common and have had a history of collaborating and taking notes from each other. Hating hip-hop due to sexism, male chauvinism, and hedonism and then turning around listening to heavy metal is pure hypocrisy.
  21. Sixiang
    Sixiang
    I agree with most of the posts in here. This argument is stupid. Rap in itself is not capitalist. Practically all main-stream rap, hell all main-stream music in general, is capitalistic in a way. Besides, I've noticed more leftists in hip-hop than I have in rock and metal. Also, there is something to be said about the idea of sampling in music. It has a revolutionary potential because you could say it's a progressive move forward in music and also it can be a disregard of copyright or "ownership of information/art/knowledge", which is revolutionary in itself.