Conversation Between Meridian and Rosa Lichtenstein

1. Rosa Lichtenstein
    Thanks for that!
  2. Meridian
    Hello, have you read this:
    http://www.philosophypress.co.uk/?p=1583
    I found it to be interesting, and I mostly agree with what is said.
  3. Rosa Lichtenstein
    A friend installed a new hard drive and managed to save all my files, etc.
  4. Meridian
    Ah, good to see you back. Your computer is restored or did you buy a new one?
  5. Rosa Lichtenstein
    Thanks for holding the fort while I was away!
  6. Rosa Lichtenstein
    I'll PM you on this.
  7. Meridian
    Ok. Well thanks for posting it out there anyway.

Anyway, this is a random passage in a Plato text (Meno) recently that I thought perhaps shows Plato/Socrates running into the limits of their own metaphysical misuse of language. Sadly, Socrates' response to this was the theory of knowledge as recollection.

If you think of this as applying to metaphysical "inquiry" or search for truth:
    "A man cannot search either for what he knows or for what he does not know. He cannot search for what he knows -- since he knows it, there is no need to search -- nor for what he does not know, for he does not know what to look for."
    - Plato

It seems to me that if that is true then there goes the foundation of metaphysics, and but empiric knowledge would be left.
  8. Rosa Lichtenstein
    I had intended to publish as much of it as I could when it was finished (in about ten years time!) but one or two friends persuaded me to post on the internet since it was needed right away.

So, I began publishing it at my site in November 2005.
  9. Meridian
    Hello, I've been reading through some of your essays and it's very helpful stuff. While informative it is also extremely interesting. Have you every considered publishing a book with any of this material?
  10. Rosa Lichtenstein
    Ok. Well, as I said, good luck!
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 15