Conversation Between Skyhilist and Trap Queen Voxxy

1. Skyhilist
    Thanks! I actually like it better than my previous ones, which surprisingly I put way more (unnecessary) effort into thinking up lol.
  2. Trap Queen Voxxy
    So your new username is awesome!
  3. Skyhilist
    No problem happy to help! Oh and I PM'd you about the powerpoint btw.
  4. Trap Queen Voxxy
    Thanks you so much for everything and yes I would be very much interested!!
  5. Skyhilist
    Ok I have got some reads for you on herpetological ethology! For online texts, the blog Social Snakes and the sites anapsid.org and Tetrapod Zoology. Also this link: http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzool...e-out-to-play/
    Anything by Dr. Naish is also recommended. For books with good ethology info on snakes in particular, check out "A field Guide to Snakes" by Karl p. Schmidt, "Snakes in Question" (smithsonian) and finally "Rattlesnakes" by Laurence Klauber.
  6. Skyhilist
    Oh also, if you're interested in venom at all, I made a really in depth powerpoint that's meant to be introductory and about 25 slides long about reptile venom and its evolution. I'd be happy to send it to you if you'd be interested.
  7. Skyhilist
    Most of the best literature available on specific things for herps in general (as opposed to specific species) though are actually compiled online, as opposed to books while usually help more with descriptions of specific species. For example, you might be interested in the work of Bryan Grieg Fry (his work is available on venomdoc.com), who has done extensive research on the evolution of reptile venom. I read herpetological papers also regularly such as the ones published in Herpetologica, because those provide great insights to newer research as well. In terms of ethology, this page here (http://www.anapsid.org/ethology.html) provides some using introductory info, especially relating to captivity and also has some good links. I'll see if I can find some better texts as well on ethology from other people in the herp community, since it's not my most knowledgeable topic.
  8. Skyhilist
    Well, for identifying and learning about new species I'd recommend the National Audubon Society's Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians. Depending on what region you're in I can also recommend some good guides specifically for herps that would be found in your area. The textbook "vertebrate life" is definitely good in terms of herps for providing some introductory information. All of the non-field guide books listed here (https://www.sdnhm.org/archive/resear...esources6.html) also are great introductory reads.
  9. Trap Queen Voxxy
    Herpetological ethology**
  10. Trap Queen Voxxy
    Well, for starters would be some good introductory books on the subject? Where would I start? Who should I avoid and why? Also, any good books either intro or otherwise on herpetologist ethology? My apologies for just going all rapid fire. :P right now I'm on basic biology, into ethology and comparative psychology as I think it'd be important in my overall treatment of patients. Thank you so much for honoring me btw!!
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 14