Conversation Between the last donut of the night and Os Cangaceiros

1. the last donut of the night
    cangaceiros were cool dudes, brazilian cowboys
  2. Os Cangaceiros
    I don't know, I guess I just got tired of it or something.
  3. the last donut of the night
    chill name. why the change
  4. the last donut of the night
    hmm, funny, because gangs in those areas, while not being some kind of proletarian armed wing, did provide some social services to the community that the state basically ignored
  5. Os Cangaceiros
    oh man, you've never seen city of god? that's a pretty good movie about the poor areas of Rio, and how crime developed there (I have no idea if it's actually how it happened, but the movie portrays it compellingly lol). originally there were some Robin Hood type bandits, who people in the community respected, until drugs started entering the scene and this one dude, a totally ruthless villain named Ze, who was a mass murderer by age 8 or something, takes over. Probably one of the best movie bad guys.
  6. the last donut of the night
    lol i actually have never seen city of god, but elite squad kinda sucks. especially the first one; the second one could be radical if it weren't watered down in liberal discourse. yo, but i have played that game and i wholly agree with your proposal
  7. Os Cangaceiros
    Oh, thanks for the information. All I know about Brazil/the ghettos is what I've seen in "City of God" and "Elite Squad", lol. Oh yeah, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I always wished that they had a level in that game where the roles were reversed, and you got to play some Brazilian hood rat out to kill some SAS bastards lol
  8. the last donut of the night
    as for the favelas, the military and the military police have started a "peace" operation in the complexo do alemao, pavao-pavaozinho, rocinha and other slums. although they have stopped some of the inter-gang violence, they're widely known for their corruption, setting curfews, searching people randomly, invading houses, extrajudicial killings, etc. it's what we call the criminalization of poverty, because while these communities are being repressed by a violent state force and already being prepared for gentrification, nothing is done about the precarious sanitary, educational, employment and economical situations of the working class. to give you a picture, the brazilian government has a financial surplus in the billions, but almost 50% of it is used to pay international and internal debts, while around 3,5% percent is used for education; a sad 0,22% is used for agricultural reform. it's sickening.

sorry for the 3 posts lol
  9. the last donut of the night
    but brazil is just an example of a country where the rich are getting much richer than the poor, so it's no surprise that while our economic position has risen quite substantially, we're about in the 84th position in the human development ranking. the occupation of the favelas by the military, the tax breaks for industries, the repression of workers' wildcat strikes in the huge developmental projects up in the north and the widespread corruption all point to a bourgeoisie eager to take hold of the "brazilian miracle" as best as possible.
  10. the last donut of the night
    to give you some context, brazil right now (as you have heard) is going through massive economic growth -- which doesn't really mean that it's becoming a richer country, per se. although some government policies, such as lula's bolsa familia have been responsible for reducing extreme poverty, especially in the northeast region, what we have been seeing (especially now in the dilma government and administration) is a shift to the right in economic and social policies by a government that claims to be socially responsible about managing all this money from economic expansion.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 11