Conversation Between Dean and Lyev

1. Dean
    Hey, its no problem! I'm really hoping this is a pretty laid-back series of discussions. I think it may take a bit to get more people involved, but I also plan on using different threads for chapters (I think maybe we should do 2 chapters/thread).
  2. Lyev
    Hiya Dean, I'm really sorry I haven't got back to you yet with my own notes on the opening few chapters of vol. 1 of Capital. I've been quite busy, what with just starting my first year of college (I understand "college" is something slightly different in the US), but I have a free evening tomorrow so should be able to post notes on 1-2, possibly 3. I'll be able to get back on top of most of my work on the weekend, so then I will probably be able to post notes and discussion on chpt. 4 (and 5) much earlier (Mon or Tues) next week. Thanks.
  3. Dean
    "have you got the time to briefly explain why?"
    Absolutely.
    Psychonanalysis and Marxism (as well as other forms of leftist liberation theories) deal with the human being in conditions as their subject, the realization of the free, "inner" man as their goal, and seek to accomplish this by freeing people by irrational, mystical constraints which are often expressed via our labor or mental activity, as opposed to necessarily purely external force. External force is the classical notion of oppression, and the aforementioned liberation theories deal with the emancipation of the human being from forces primarily external, but which have created internal forces in the human being to "allow" us to voluntarily enforce acceptable or preferred activity.

I think you'll find that these are the critical ideas frequently expressed in these systems... I would suggest "Escape From Freedom" by Fromm and "Introduction to Psychoanalysis" by Freud.
  4. Lyev
    Hello, I heard you were interested in psychoanalysis, I don't suppose there are any introductory works you can direct me to? Also, it seems, simply from reading bits & pieces here and there, that it's interlinked to Marxism, "radical emancipatory politics" and suchlike; have you got the time to briefly explain why? Thank you.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4