Conversation Between synthesis and Anglo-Saxon Philistine

1. Working klass don't need no imperiali$$t "grammar".
  2. Well, there are examples of trans-women being excluded (which includes physically kicking them out) from events organised by radfems, and so on. I will have to get back to you, though, with the specific incidents.
  3. synthesis
    Can you point me to some incidents of radical feminists using physical violence against trans-women? It's something I'd like to examine further.
  4. synthesis
    Well, yeah. The point is that most sounds can be at least approximated (but mostly replicated) with just the two vowels. If "at-tack" was spelled "et-tack," how much would the pronunciation change? A little, but in the context of the theory - again, not something I'm advocating - not enough to justify a whole different vowel.
  5. That works for some American accents, perhaps, but many British accents clearly have an "e" sound at the beginning as distinct from the "ae" in "axe" - hence my point. The "e" sound isn't that widespread, but it's still there.
  6. synthesis
    "Axtrawuardanary." Pretty good example of how it could be done, but obviously shouldn't.
  7. "

My current theory about English is that we could get by with only two vowels: a and u, with a y for most 'i' sounds. There are a few exceptions, mostly French loanwords, but I can apply this rule to pretty much any English word you can think of that is not directly taken from another language. ('au' can approximate if not replicate the 'oh' sound, for example.) Diphthongs are crucial here.

Feel free to challenge me with words you want to see adapted to this concept, in another thread or on my user page, and I'll spell them with just 'a' and 'u'. I've never come across a word I couldn't fit to this schema, again with the exception of direct loanwords."

Extraordinary.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7