Conversation Between L.A.P. and Il Medico

1. L.A.P.
    also, their PR strategy is basically "Publix supports modern slavery" and i think provoking public outcry has been their main tool.

thanks for the response bro, any knowledge gathered is needed
  2. L.A.P.
    well, I'm just starting to put my foot in the water irl activism. I think its a shortcoming of the CIW that they gather these students from around the country but neglects to build solidarity with the service workers in the area such as ones employed by Publix.
  3. Il Medico
    (part two, my reply was too long)
    Anyways, I'm not sure about Wendys, I doubt lacking major public outcry (which there almost never is on this sort of stuff sadly) that Publix will change their tune. They're notoriously cheap when it comes to their employees, like when mangers who get like 60 hours a week go on vacation, instead of letting the low level employees fill the gap and get more hours they hire new ones they know won't last and fire them when the manager gets back. This is mainly done so none of the lower level employees ever get enough hours to qualify for benefits. So I don't really see them budging even on a single cent given their mind set. I wish you guys luck though.
  4. Il Medico
    Ah well, when I had posted that I hadn't had much sleep and when I went back to read it later it seemed pretty dumb and dickish. I felt it kinda read like "Hey, whats this activism thing about? It's not like I care, cuz I don't, but yeah I know some publix employees so tell me." Also, my non sleep deprived brain pretty easily figured out that just because the group had a native sounding word in it didn't mean they were all natives. Also, I think that Immokalee might be a town or something. So yeah I felt dumb and kinda racist and deleted it out of embarrassment.
  5. L.A.P.
    why'd you delete your post?

to answer your question: yeah, we were protesting in front of a local Publix and marched down to Wendy's. Two corporations that don't comply with the Fair Food Program, which is basically where food chains buy the crops from the agricultural companies at a set minimum. This would be where my concern is; given that the CIW is only asking for one cent more per pound of fruit picked, is the Fair Food Program really benefitting the agricultural companies more by increasing the margins on the sale of their crops?

also, yes, the CIW are made up almost entirely of immigrants from Latin America and the Carribean. The only natives are literally the Native American Mayans.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5