Conversation Between Random Precision and which doctor

1. by the way, if your girlfriend is interested in marxism at all she should consider coming to the platypus reading group we have at U of C

http://chicago.platypus1917.org/reading-group/
  2. yeah, that sounds like it'd be cool

Tell me next time you're out here.
  3. Do you live in Chicago? I'm there pretty frequently to visit my girlfriend at the U of C, maybe we should try to meet up when I'm out there next.
  4. Yeah. Bubbles and Omar are tied for my favorite character. It's definitely the best thing I've ever seen on TV; there's just nothing like watching the drama unfold from a couple seemingly innocuous events, like Sabotka beating Valchek to get his window on the altar. I'm going through it for the second time right now with my girlfriend to indoctrinate her.

As for McNulty, well, don't write him off yet is all I should tell you.
  5. I just noticed your avatar of Bubs. I really don't ever watch television, but I've been watching The Wire a lot recently after a professor of mine was talking about how some of his colleagues are doing some work dealing with the show and systems theory. I'm halfway through season 3 (thank god for bittorrent) and it's easily the most well-done TV show I've ever seen. I hate to compare it to a novel as some have done, but as far as TV shows go, nothing is more complex. I think their portrayal of the urban, black poor is the most realistic in all of popular culture. My only problem is that I can't find a single redeeming attribute in Jimmy McNulty, but that doesn't stop me from watching.

Anyways, it's good to see another Wire fan on here.
  6. The Journey is definitely the one I would recommend. Ranks only slightly higher than Germinal on my hypothetical list of best novels. I mentioned it because Zola was the only French writer who Céline had any respect for. If you like the one, you'll definitely like the other.
  7. I'm only a little over a hundred pages into Germinal, but I've already found myself enthralled in the lives of the miners and their families. It's really a great book.

I haven't read any Celine, but Journey to the End of Night has been on my to-read list for a while now.
  8. Re Germinal: This is possibly the best-constructed novel I have read. I keep meaning to read more Zola, though I doubt I'll ever finish the complete Rougon-Macquart as was my original ambition.

On that note, have you ever read anything by Céline?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 8 of 8