Conversation Between Azraella and El Chuncho

1. El Chuncho
    Reconstructing Gothic mythology is harder because we do not have that much sources to go on. Culturally the Goths were descended from Scandinavian tribes and mostly developed as a real culture in the Steppes. I think it is safe to assume that their rituals had the more ''shamanic'' features of Norse mythology and the non-Norse peoples of the Steppes , which seem to not be as pronounced in West Germanic (although it does retain an element of ''shamanic''.
    I am getting carried away and please accept my apology for analyzing your faith scientifically.

I do not mean to claim that your faith is untrue, and its message have brought comfort to me. I am just interested in how people historically worshiped the Germanic Gods.
  2. El Chuncho
    Nice to know it. One of main studies is West Germanic and Gothic mythology and history, and thus one of my main interests is also Norse mythology and history; we often use Nordic myths to reconstruct elements of, say, English or Dutch mythology. Though, I'd argue against people making it too similar to Norse because whilst they are related many elements of classic Norse mythology do not appear in either. A one eyed, speared Woden is OK, but he wouldn't have shared some of the stories of Odin in the pre-Christian era of English history because those myths had not happened yet.
  3. Azraella
    Yep. I'm specifically an Asatruar.
  4. El Chuncho
    Ah, a Norse heathen?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4