Conversation Between ComradeMan and red cat

1. ComradeMan
    Come on, proof of a negative is a logical fallacy. Prove they don't exist etc....
    The point of the mathematical organisation of the universe, from a sunflower to a galaxy suggests, perhaps, a non-random causality that in turn would suggest and organised structure underneath- that leads us to the question of how and why?
  2. Mkay.. but can you demonstrate things like, say, mermaids don't exist ?

I will try to get the book. But the point is, how does it all add up to supporting the existence of god ? Also, you think the universe is mathematically organized, but I might think that it is not mathematically organized enough. This whole thing is relative and cannot be taken for an argument in the first place.
  3. ComradeMan
    Yes but you are not a Martian and that can be demonstrated- it's not the same argument, no one actually says or believes you are either- (I hope)
    The mathematical point of view would take the view that this mathematical organisation of the universe is not accidental. I sugget you look at a book by an Israeli Mathematician Mario Livio, Is God a Mathematician? You might like it.
  4. One implication is that things are that way because that's the way they are. The intelligent universe thing is a possibility. However, it is also possible that I am a Martian. Will you believe it or remain undecided about it just because it is a possibility?
  5. ComradeMan
    There are not really so simple when you think about their implications- but check out the Intelligent Universe too on that link I sent you.
  6. Okay.. but then I don't see why these simple natural facts would imply the existence of god.

You know vedic mathematics ?
  7. ComradeMan
    Ah, you see it is a supernatural versus natural thing. I tend to view things as natural to avoid this dualism. It's complicated but I don't see why "God" should not be natural.
    It is the suggestion of infinity that is interesting too. But anyway, I must go now. I'll reply at a later point.
    -
    Vedic mathematics was pretty cool too!
  8. Alright, they go on and on. But what is unnatural or divine about pi being that way?
  9. Thanks for the articles. I have come across similar ones in the past. However, for most of the cases that I have been provided an insight into, what seem as mystical occurrences of mathematical phenomena in nature almost always boil down to very simple obvious facts, with nothing divine in them. We can explore some of them one by one if you want to.
  10. ComradeMan
    I haven't much time to respond now- look at some of those links too.
    Re pi and phi, they were just examples- however it's the fact that they go on and on and on - then we get into discussions about infinity too!
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 35