Conversation Between Czy and Rafiq

1. Rafiq
    Although I see violence as something necessary, I also see it as a component of revolutionary change and not something that simply exists to sustain it. Even if there was no counter revolution, without violence, there can be no revolution. To answer, I don't view any figure as a bastion of violence, I think Lenin can represent the violence of the bolshevik revolution just as well as Dzerzhinsky can, though I am starting to become quite interested in Tukhachevsky, Frunze and others as alternatives to Stalin and Trotsky.
  2. Czy
    Who are your favourite bastions of necessary violence? The likes of Robespierre, Dzerzhinsky, etc?
  3. Rafiq
    It was never the will of Marius or any other of the populares, (most especially including caesar) for Rome to become a principate. This was the doing of a desperate senatorial aristocracy through Augustus. As far as a good profile picture goes, I'd choose whatever speaks to you best.
  4. Czy
    Fair enough. I have an interest in despotism from a historical (as opposed to ideological) point of view, so I chose him mostly because of that. You're right about Marius - he did transform Rome from a state into an empire though ('third founder of Rome').

Your avatar is pretty kick-ass btw. Any recommendations for me to choose an avatar that represents violence and/or brutality (championing revolution, despising reactionaries, etc)?
  5. Rafiq
    Sulla was championed by the optimates and was instrumental in the murder of countless popular reformers. His modern day equivalent would have been someone like Pinochet or other reactionary despots. Marius is much better.
  6. Czy
    His love for violence and dictatorship captures the spirit of the revolution. He was also a brilliant military strategist and tactician.
  7. Rafiq
    Why Sulla?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7