Conversation Between electro_fan and Chairman Wow

1. electro_fan
    yeah, that's pretty much it. i think probably prevention is the only "solution" to any of this, but everyone who was supposed to be protecting those children failed completely. i don't know whether that's down to incompetence or whether they were overloaded or what, i think it's also down to the state's obsession with "targets" and being more like a business in terms of a "profit and loss" type model, and especially the last government. i have no idea how you can sort out these problems though, only really by eliminating the conditions behind which these things can occur i guess.
  2. Chairman Wow
    i suppose the only solution is to work harder to prevent things like that happening before they happen. that's the problem, really, the poorest areas of society the way they are you're always going to end up with vulnerable people (babies, elderly, disabled, etc.) being in the hands of people incapable of caring for them properly. yeah it does leave a bitter taste knowing that someone who's taken a life gets the same jail term as someone who's taken a shirt or something. it's ridiculous, really.
  3. electro_fan
    yeah, fair enough. i have no idea what should be done about things like that and i wish i had a solution. i just dont think people should be allowed to get away with it though, id like to think that those people are feeling guilty for the rest of their lives but i doubt it. especially when some kid has had his life ruined for stealing some clothes or smashing a window, its just so unfair.
  4. Chairman Wow
    yeah, i understand, you made a very good point about the system placing more value on property than human life. personally i don't see how a prison sentence will do anything for a "thief" who has stolen some food or water, that is an example of a crime born out of necessity.

as for the baby p case, it's horrific, and i'm as disgusted by it as anyone but given that my belief is that a justice system should be centred around rehabilitation rather than retribution i can't really support locking these people up with no chance of parole.
    like i said though the justice system here is a complete mess and doesn't work to prevent re-offending so... it's difficult to know where to stand on it.
  5. electro_fan
    perhaps you're right, i don't know. i think you can't treat all crimes the same tho, and the whole thing is very complicated and difficult, and i also get annoyed at people who think that any sort of concern about this type of stuff means your some type of vigilante lol. i just tend to get a bit upset over this type of thing.
  6. Chairman Wow
    My point was that two years should be enough and would be enough if we had an effective and rehabilitative justice system. People aren't born criminals, societal factors create the conditions which lead to people becoming criminals. So, if an honest person can be turned to crime by specific conditions, then equally a criminal can be turned to an honest person. Unfortunately our system is deeply flawed and doesn't do enough to rehabilitate offenders, so I can understand your anger at this case and cases like this.

As far as I'm aware this guy is or was a crack addict and they were living in squalid conditions to say the least. That doesn't excuse his actions but almost certainly will have contributed to them, and just shows how preventable this crime was. Sadly, it's not a unique case.
    I don't assume you're a reactionary daily mail type anyway, don't worry about that.
  7. electro_fan
    sorry, i didnt want you to get the idea that i was like some reactionary or something. i agree partially with what you're saying, i just dont think we can take the risk tho sometimes, with some people, to let them out as if nothing happened. it would be nice but i dont think its long enough. i just dont want you to get the idea that im like some daily mail type tho lol
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7