Conversation Between PRC-UTE and Brady

1. Brady
    thanks for the reply, I see what you mean now, they helped develop capitalism in ireland. I knew you couldnt have meant progressive in social terms lol.
  2. PRC-UTE
    hi comrade,

at certain points in history the British in Ireland helped develop economic forces. Well, I guess not the British, but the initial Norman invasion. It increased productive forces. Ireland was already moving slowly towards feudalism since the days of Brian Boru, but this accelerated it. Also, the British introduced capitalism and industry. The problem was that, as a colony, the British depended on an anti-democratic, racist regime to hold onto power, so what small benefits they brought weren't shared out to the Catholic population generally, necessitating republicanism. Maybe if Cromwell or some other English republican had won over the monarchy, hjistory could have been different and the Brits would not have been tied to the reactionary class of landlords.
  3. Brady
    Hi mate. Just a quick question....I agree with almost evrything you posted on the queen visiting ireland thread...but I found the British presence being progressive a bit confusing. Could you clarify?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3