Conversation Between The Intransigent Faction and RedWorker

1. The Intransigent Faction
    Thanks! I didn't expect any "real change" from Podemos, but it's helpful to have specific examples to point to which demonstrate their capitulation to capital.
  2. The state has a juicy deal with Coca Cola, which gives them tons of profit. When the new Podemos government took power in Zaragoza, they threatened to suspend the juicy deal until Coca Cola complied with the sentence of bourgeois justice. Many workers appreciated this gesture and even travelled to Zaragoza to celebrate it. Yet, within hours, Podemos "corrected" their own position gave a new statement saying: "While we suggest that Coca Cola complies with the justice sentence, the public-private deals are unquestionable and will go on no matter what". So even this veeeeery weak measure, which merely amounted with the state threatening shutting down its own deal with Coca Cola unless Coca Cola complies with what the state is telling it to do, was immediately trashed.
  3. I will give one extra example. Many striking workers have been leading a struggle against Coca-Cola for months, which is known throughout the whole of Spain and is perhaps the best example of a workers' struggle known by many people now. Coca-Cola treated the workers unfairly in very significant way and the bourgeois courts ruled in favor of the workers and gave a sentence to Coca-Cola. However, Coca-Cola never complied with what the courts told them what to do.
  4. Furthermore, a key police leader in Barcelona, who is a known torture apologist, had said: "If the new Podemos government gets elected, then I'm retiring because of their clear anti-police standard". So he even goes to the extent of violating bourgeois democracy by making such statements. But as soon as he got elected, he said he had "no problem with it", and the new government in fact EXPLICITLY re-newed his position (which would expire otherwise), with the Podemos representatives publicly shaking hands with him and giving messages of encouragement.

These are only two cases which happened which speak A LOT about the image of what happened under Podemos. There is an endless number of cases, and, of course, no real change is occurring under Podemos. Rather, they have confirmed themselves as the routine defenders of every injustice.
  5. I'm replying late to this question: "That was very informative! What are your thoughts on Podemos' apparent victory in Barcelona?"

I'm going to just reply with a certain case that says a lot: You know, Ada Colau, the new mayor of Barcelona, elected thanks to Podemos, was the main representative of the "PAH" movement, which mostly fought against evictions, trying to prevent them from taking place. In this role she physically confronted with the police several times.

Yet, merely a few days after the new government took power in Barcelona, a group of homeless people had temporarily settled in a abandoned home. Someone complained about this (yes, someone - the owner of the home didn't say anything), and within hours the government had successfully instigated an eviction against the homeless people in record time, by decree - much faster than what it takes through the regular process. The owner of the home wasn't even contacted.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5