Conversation Between Alan OldStudent and Guardia Rossa

1. Actually, if you find a portuguese-speaking person you will have more chance of guessing his country if you ask if he is African (Angolan/Mozambican) or Brazilian. I'm from Brazil, although my family are mostly descendants of Italian immigrants.
  2. Alan OldStudent
    Well, your English is clear and understandable on this board. I've played with the idea of learning more German. When I was a boy (back in the early 1950s), I spoke some German, Yiddish, and Spanish. The Spanish stuck because I hear it all the time here in the United States, and I lived in California until 1995, where over half the population speak Spanish. But the German and Yiddish are mostly forgotten. I occasionally have an elderly lady stay at my house when she comes to my town to visit with her doctors, and the Yiddish comes back a little bit because she talks to me in Yiddish.

Best of luck with German. It's a wonderful language. Do you live in Portugal or maybe Galicia?
  3. I speak Portuguese as first language. Thanks for the tips, but I'm leaning more towards learning German and then fixing my English than to fix my English right now. My writing was horrible, I kinda fixed it, so I don't really care much, I don't speak to many people in english anyway.
  4. Alan OldStudent
    Good idea about the corrector. Do you have access to either British audio newscasts or American audio newscasts? Listening to those can help you acquire idioms and understanding or speech. BBC is good. Many of the presenters have Received British English accents, and most American broadcasters have Standard American English accents. Both of those are quite good, and they'll introduce you to more idioms and vocabulary. What is your first language?
  5. That is thanks to the Google corrector, but it only works in one of the two computers I use. Some months ago I couldn't write a thing right. Now I got back in the track, even if my vocabulary is smaller than when I exited the english school.
  6. Alan OldStudent
    Hey Comrade,
    Your English is perfectly understandable to me, and I am quite fluent in Standard American English.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 6 of 6