Conversation Between Reuben and Module

1. Reuben
    Just looked back at what you post and post and I see your point. I think i rushed in head long because it seemed to approximate to what I predicted. So apologies. That said you have pushed the 'geeky white boy' trope in the past, which stuck (and perhaps loomed to large) in my memory and overly influenced my reading of your post.

I wasn't suggesting that your post was some kind of feminist comment in itself. I just expressed surprise that a number of people with ostensibly feminist credentials tend to come out with the rhetoric about 'geeky males' - see for example TC, and UK blogger penny red off the top of my head. The point is that whatever the authors intentions, those who deploy such language invoke a cultural trope which is inimical to the project of challenging concentional gendered expectations.

I also continue to think that this idea that we shouldnt have too many nerds on revleft is ridiculous.
  2. Module
    That you would attempt to twist my post into some kind of 'feminist' comment on race or gender is just absolutely absurd?
  3. Reuben
    Ok,well your neg rep comment was kind of criptic. Perhaps you could explain what exactly your point was.
  4. Module
    Er, no, you brought it up. If you actually read what you quoted you won't see me talking about 'white males'. If for some strange reason you see my post falling into line with your so-called prediction, that does not mean that I actually have to agree with it.
  5. Reuben
    What on Earth. YOu were the one who brought up the question of white males. Apologies if i misinterpretted the comment you left when you neg repped my but you seemd to imply that because it concerned white males it had nothing to with feminism. Hence what i argued below.
  6. Module
    What on earth? Why does this have something to do with white males? A very large proportion of people who play video games are female, and they are not disproportionately white, either. So tell me, what does this have to do with feminism?
  7. Reuben
    nice to get my first piece of neg rep though
  8. Reuben
    Male and female gender norms are independent and reinforce one another. Hence, one cannot truly challenge the oppressive way in which feminity is currently constructed without challenging dominant masculine expectations. To suggest that because the issue concerns white males it has nothing to do with with feminism is, in my opinion, a flawed line of argument.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 8 of 8